Where I'm at

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TommyH

Where I'm at

Post by TommyH »

Hi all

Thanks for helping me out with my initial enquirey about my new Morini.

I bought a HW45 as a 'training aid' for the Morini (I'm not rich but do have some redundancy money). I picked both guns up last Friday - 14th June. I attempted to zero the HW45 the next day - I was getting 30mm groups after 50 pellets (.177) at 6.5 metres, I was pleased with that as I haven't done any shooting since leaving the army over 30 years ago. I need to sort my eyes out though, even though I was wearing glasses, I was having to squint to see a perfect circlular target - when I was zeroing, I could do with an iris attached to my glasses.

I'll let you know how I get on with my Morini - she's a babe, she sits in the hand like a jewel.

TommyH
rmca

Re: Where I'm at

Post by rmca »

TommyH wrote: even though I was wearing glasses, I was having to squint to see a perfect circlular target
Tommy, this is a big no no! The thing that has to be in focus is the front sight, not the target.
Your sight picture should look like this...

The reason is simple, your eyes cannot focus on more than one distance at a time, hence if you are focusing on the target, you don't have a good picture of the front sight... and that's were the gun is pointing!

Hope this helps.
Attachments
sight_picture_177.gif
sight_picture_177.gif (3.56 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
conradin

Post by conradin »

RMCA is absolutely right. Once you identify and line up your sight with the target, you will then concentrate on the sight, the target will be blurry, it does not matter anymore. In a way, the most important thing about your eye sight is you should be able to have a clear sharp view of your front sight. Being able to have a clear sharp view of the target is not a must, although of course it will help.
FredB

Post by FredB »

conradin wrote: Being able to have a clear sharp view of the target is not a must, although of course it will help.
Not.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

If the front sight and the target are both in focus at the same time how would you ever know which one you truly are focused on? For me I can only get one or the other in focus at a time. When the front sight goes out of focus and the target comes in that is my sign to put the gun down and start over. Some days are definately easier than others to focus only on the front sight.

Scott
TommyH

Sharpness

Post by TommyH »

Hi

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it.

When I aim at the target wearing my prescription glasses, I have a sharp front sight (and rear sight) but the target is so out of focus it looks slightly oval. I had a disease in my shooting eye when I was younger (had to have an injection in the eye - ouch) and it left me with double vision.

When I was zeroing last Saturday, I was virtually guessing my aim, when I squinted I found that helped.

I'd appreciate replies to this.

Thanks

TommyH
Rover

Post by Rover »

It sounds as if you don't have a correct prescription.

Your focus seems to be too close and the oval bull may indicate astigmatism, both correctable with the right lens.
rmca

Post by rmca »

As Rover said, you may need to correct your prescription.

But if with your current glasses you can see the front sight in focus, use the image above to serve as reference when zeroing the gun.

Four things to notice about that picture:

1. The front sight is in focus, nothing else...
2. The front sight aligns with the blurred bull. (note the side walls of the front sight in relation to the widest part of the bull)
3. The gap between both sides of the front sight are equal, and are also equal to the gap between the top of the front sight and the bottom of the blurred bull. (This is called a sub six aim)
4. The top of the front sight is flush with the top of the back sight.

One last thing, if you have some difficulty performing what I described above, then I would sort those glasses soon... No point in trying to zero something if you can't consistently hit in the same place due to your glasses.

Hope this helps
conradin

Post by conradin »

FredB wrote:
conradin wrote: Being able to have a clear sharp view of the target is not a must, although of course it will help.
Not.
Fred, do you mean the target MUST be blurry, or that you think if BOTH the target and the sight are sharp then it is wrong?
What I tried to say is that, the front sight has to be sharp, if you are so blessed that you have good focus with the target that is great, it helps you line up better initially. But in the end the only thing that count is your sights.

Anyway, until some elderly gentleman show me the use of red dot laser, I did not know that I took my relatively OK eyesight for granted. I thought everyone can use iron sight without any aid...
ponpon7

Post by ponpon7 »

conradin wrote:
Anyway, until some elderly gentleman show me the use of red dot laser, I did not know that I took my relatively OK eyesight for granted. I thought everyone can use iron sight without any aid...
Hello coradin,

Could you please introduce the "red dot laser"?

I was wondering to know if it is just a laser pointer mounted to cylinder to observe the track of the light point...

Thanks a lot.
TommyH

Thanks

Post by TommyH »

Thanks for the really good advice -preparation is the foundation of success and you've all given me something to work on.

Brilliant stuff

TommyH