permanently numb index finger/hand stop?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Thedrifter

permanently numb index finger/hand stop?

Post by Thedrifter »

Hello gentleman,
I have been fighting an issue for some time and I am looking for suggestions as too things I could try to narrow my problem down and correct it. I have made some progress but fear that I could cause permanent damage to my support hand.
Here is the problem, after about 15 minutes in the prone shooting position my hand goes to sleep “this is normal” but what is not normal is that since the Western Wildcat (2 months ago) every training session in between and even after a 3200 last weekend my pointer finger (Index finger) goes permanently numb for a few days (A nurse at the shooting range informed me I may have pinched a nerve) it will recover after a few more days as usual, but I see no reason that this should be happening. It never happened with my old rifle.

I currently shoot with a FWB model 2602 with the 22mm barrel, since the Western Wildcat I have changed a number of things with little relief.
1. A different sling, Old one had a buckle resting on my wrist
2. Shooting glove, for more padding
3. Hand stops, switched from the FWB Stop to a Mec Stop
4. Removed weight from barrel, swap from Uptagrafft tube back to the FWB tube. Approx. 1lb reduction.
5. Hand stop location forward and back.
So for my next attempt, and I will be out of ideas after. I plan to offset (laterally) the hand stop to the right side of the rifle. Currently I have it offset left (I have tried center) so that the rifle is not over the pad of my thumb. Perhaps the pad is where it is pinching causing a numb finger? my goal here is to move to the right side of the thumb pad.

Anything I might be missing?

Sincerely,
Cameron
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Hard to tell without a photo of you in position. One thing to try, is get into position without the sling and with handstop out of the ay (far forward). Get the rifle balanced on the meaty part of your thumb, but make sure your hand is extended to be inline with forearm (not bent down). Have someone move the handstop back to just touch your hand between the thumb and forefinger and tighten it down. Now have your aide hold the sling up to see if it reaches the handstop . It may be way too short, causing you to pull your hand back, putting a "kink" in the wrist and Pinching a nerve.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

I too had a similar issue after a week of shooting at our Nationals, but in the base of my left thumb. My glove was one size too tight. I changed to a softer glove of the correct size. This cured the problem but it still took 6-8 weeks for the feeling to return permanently.
Martin
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

For what I have understood and experienced myself is that such problems often comes from the elbow, but of course it could be something else. All nerves pass in the elbow joint and therefore you can pinch them in the elbow, it's enough with a little wrinkle in the underclothing or the jacket bunching in the wrong place for this to happen.

Maybe the position have just changed slightly with the new rifle and that is why it didn't happen with the old one.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Good points above, and I'd concur that rifle position in the hand is a likely cause, but equally if you hand and arm are not straight, or the elbow could be the cause - the nerve that is the 'funny bone' goes straight through it and it's not uncommon to a shooter to put pressure on it.

Rest is obviously the first thing to do. Secondly make sure you don't shoot for extended periods in position, i.e. break position and rest the gun. Look at your glove and make sure it is quite solid and a new ish one and the right size - not too tight, gloves deteriorate and need replacing every few years.

Rob.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

The funny bone is actually your ulnar nerve, which provides sensation for your half your ring finger and your pinkie finger. The index finger is innervated by the median nerve, which runs along the inside of your elbow right under the brachial artery.

My guess is that the particular branch of your median nerve which supplies that specific portion of your index finger is getting compressed in position. It is very possible that you initially aggravated it at the Wildcat (that was a long week with a ton of shooting!), and have been tweaking it just enough each time you shoot. This is something you should probably have evaluated by a physician sooner rather than later, since nerve issues can become permanent if left uncorrected.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Going to have surgery shortly to reposition the ulnar nerve that is causing problems with sensation in the ring and little finger of my left hand.
Concur with mtncwru that it's important that you get it looked at as if you leave it too long you will damage the nerve which can lead to muscle weakness/wastage.
Not saying that is what your problem is but get it checked, or see if your position in putting pressure on the nerve and alter to avoid the problem
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

I may have it figured out, I did some changes to my hand stop, and during a 2400 last weekend it did not get worse or irritated, now for the 6400 coming up, that will be the real test.