rifle coach

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mgeisecke

rifle coach

Post by mgeisecke »

hello my name is Michael Geisecke and I've been shooting smallbore and rifle for the past 3 years. I am a junior in high schoo and I plan on shooting in college.l have everything I need except for coach. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to reach my goals. does anyone know where I can find high-level coaching to help me along my journey.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It would probably help people to answer if you put your location in your profile.
mgeisecke

Post by mgeisecke »

thought it was. I'm located near dayton ohio
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

Hi Michael, I saw you were not getting any response so I thought I would reply. Its not that no one wants to help, the problem is, good rifle coaches are really hard to find.

About all I can suggest is to attend some of the shooting camps that are going on in the summer. USAS, CMP and NRA all have camps you can find on their websites. Buy "Ways of the Rifle" and "Air Rifle" books, available from Champions Choice and other suppliers and really study the books. Attend some of the big matches, Camp Perry, USAS Nationals, etc. even if you do not participate. Network, look for a competitor from your area you could ask for some occasional instruction.

A former competitor helps coach my daughter but it is only a very part time arrangement. I will not mention his name though, he has a real job and is not looking for additional coaching clients.... He once explained to me that the reason there are no rifle coaches is that no one is willing to pay for coaching. People have no problem paying a golf coach $100 to $150 an hour, but for some reason rifle coaches are supposed to volunteer at local clubs and instruct for free..... The result, very few retired top level competitors take up coaching. There is no money in it..... If you find someone interested, offer to pay them (if you can afford it) you might have more luck finding a coach.

I wish I could be of more help..... Best wishes to you, get the books, work hard and you will get there!
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

mgeisecke wrote:hello my name is Michael Geisecke and I've been shooting smallbore and rifle for the past 3 years. I am a junior in high schoo and I plan on shooting in college.l have everything I need except for coach. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to reach my goals. does anyone know where I can find high-level coaching to help me along my journey.
Wouldn't you be able to join a Jr club? I was fortunately able to shoot alongside JRs and sometimes participate with some clinics at my local club as an adult. From what I've seen, JRs range from early teens all the way to highschool graduate, and they usually get into a rifle scholarship and college team.

rmarsh wrote:..Its not that no one wants to help, the problem is, good rifle coaches are really hard to find.

..He once explained to me that the reason there are no rifle coaches is that no one is willing to pay for coaching. People have no problem paying a golf coach $100 to $150 an hour, but for some reason rifle coaches are supposed to volunteer at local clubs and instruct for free..... The result, very few retired top level competitors take up coaching. There is no money in it..... If you find someone interested, offer to pay them (if you can afford it) you might have more luck finding a coach...
I'm sorry to take things slightly off topic here since its about the OP, but I just gotta chime in a bit here.

"Noone is willing to pay for coaching" How does he come to this conclusion? I think there are more than a few of us who WOULD pay hourly for coaching. And personally, I DO see this sport the same way as golf and tennis, surely I can't be in that much of a minority. I just think this sport does a poor job of advertising itself.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

AdrianS, I don't want to get to far off Michael's original topic, but I do want to clarify my previous comments.

As far a people not being willing to pay for coaching, maybe that is slowly changing. I was simply repeating what my daughter's coach told me. He is in a consulting type business and has a set rate, hourly/daily. He said over the years he has had many people ask him to coach, when he quotes his rate they often act offended. Consequently, he just quit responding to coaching requests.

Maybe his experience is unique. However, I rather suspect that if the shooting community were willing to pay for instruction like golfers, there would be coaches out there making a business out of it. My .2 cents..... didn't mean to hijack your thread Michael!
justadude

Post by justadude »

to mgeisecke

If you are in Dayton, what not quite 100 miles south of Toledo you are in easy striking distance of CMP-north at Camp Perry. (Can't find Camp Perry, find Port Clinton and go west about 4 miles.)

While not great for daily coaching that is close enough to participate in some of their clinics and other events.

http://www.odcmp.com/

Gets you to their main page.

Cheers,
'Dude
justadude

Post by justadude »

to marsh and Adrian

The idea that coaches should get some compensation has been a point of mine for some time. Rather than hijack this I am just going to open a new topic and see what happens.

'Dude
PCU

Post by PCU »

Coach Frank Briggs is now using Skype to coach those not near him. Info on Page 51, Spring 2013 “USA Shooting News”. Find on USA Shooting web site or direct link is:
http://content.yudu.com/A23ooy/Spring20 ... oting-news
pmelchman

Post by pmelchman »

how bad do you want it......

coach pmelchman
mgeisecke

Post by mgeisecke »

coach,
I'd have to say as bad as I want to breathe.

and thanks everyone for your replies!