SCATT Results and suggestions!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Winstanley94

SCATT Results and suggestions!

Post by Winstanley94 »

A few months ago I trained with a SCATT unit and repeated this yesterday and the results are consistent. My trace is around the 6 and 7 until subconsciously I pull across just before my shot. I know I naturally cant and will hopefully be getting my grip adjusted soon. However when I consciously uncant the shot does release in the middle of the trace, but only about half the time so this can not be all I am doing wrong! Has anybody got any ideas what else I may be doing wrong. Also ways to minimize the size of the movement/exercises (although I do fair bit of related exercises) would be appreciated! P.S it is not as a result of yanking the trigger as smooth trigger release is one of my better points as mentioned by even air rifle shooters! Attached is a print screen of a SCATT shot!

Thanks a lot!
Attachments
Scatt
Scatt
Untitled.png (46.38 KiB) Viewed 2504 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (46.38 KiB) Viewed 2504 times
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you are right handed, you may be tightening up your finger tips in anticipation of the shot. That would tend to pull the shots sideways like that.

Keep your finger tips relaxed. Especially with air pistol, there's no need to be applying pressure to the grip with them.
mctrucky

Post by mctrucky »

Try moving the trigger back.looks like you are pushing left was you take up the second stage. Moving the trigger back may result in a more rearward application of force.

McT
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Here
http://www.pilkguns.com/anatoli.shtml
and here
http://www.pilkguns.com/anatoli2.shtml

Hopefully these two classic articles by the Russian coach of Melentiev will be useful, if only to drive home the point that "trigger jerking" is more than just mechanical snatching.

The shot picture itself is not enough to diagnose the problem. In could be almost anything, including trigger jerking in a broader sense (anticipation of the shot by changing muscle tone of any one of the dozens of muscles involved) or incorrectly chosen stance with respect to the target (so that the shoulder moves to a more comfortable position) or a number of other issues. If this is the shot with quick execution, 4-5 seconds on SCATT, it might be one thing, if this is a prolonged aiming of 10-15 seconds, it is another.
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

Is your index finger "free" or is it touching the grip?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Maybe not yanking the trigger but a massive movement none the less. What does your dry firing tell you and do you see the sights move as you release the shot ? There could be many reasons but its pretty clear that something around the triggering is causing the problem.

Rob.
Winstanley94

Post by Winstanley94 »

Dry fire has shown me that I kant and thus foresight is naturally to the right before coming across, I actually believe my trigger is not far enough forward as unless my finger is further in than I know it should be the mid phalanx is aiming slightly out although it should be straight. My middle finger does contact the grip. Hopefully my coach will adjust and mold my airpistol grip like he did my .22 so it is perfect for me and no longer kants, this, the trigger and making sure my body position is perfect as I so many times forgot will hopefully sort the problem. I have put a lot of effort into trigger release and don't believe this is at all a problem, when I unkant it quite often releases the shot in the middle of the trace.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Can't of itself won't cause that. There is a large amount of movement on shot release which is something you as the shooter is causing. Get your coach to video from the back and the side and do some focussing on the trigger finger and grip. If the grip isn't pointing the gun in the correct direction then that will make you force the gun sideways which can easily lead to large sideways errors. But remember the green trace should be over the very middle of the target not in the 7 or 8 ring, at 3-o'clock. So you are not aiming in the right place to start with and are then steering it left on shot release. Anyway hopefully your coach should be able to find a solution.

Rob.