Please recommend putty for building up wood on Izh 46M grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MG-70

Please recommend putty for building up wood on Izh 46M grip

Post by MG-70 »

After countless hours of shaping and sanding over the course of months (on and off project), I finally got to where my grips are comfortable, but need to build up a tiny area on each side of the trigger guard so as to push the second finger away from it in order to avoid rubbing (it appears to be the only part of the grip that wasn't overly large from factory).

The wood appears to be beech, so something lighter in color would IMO look better, but I'll use whatever works.

Also, what kind of wood finish is recommended on these type grips? Boiled Linseed Oil, polyurethane...?

Thanks and a great week to all!

MG-70
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Seaton Thomas used a putty type of epoxy when he worked on my grip. Just mash the 2 parts together then push it onto the grip.
It does not stink like the plastic wood that I had used before.
MG-70

Post by MG-70 »

Sounds like common two-part epoxy. Is it light grey when dry?

Thanks for the reply!
dronning

Post by dronning »

Yep 2 part epoxy putty got mine at Homedepot in the plumbing section.
MG-70

Post by MG-70 »

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll see if it comes in a lighter color.
Barry G

Post by Barry G »

I think the brand name is Quickwood. I've used it and it works well but hardens quickly.
Rover

Post by Rover »

One little trick when using the two-part epoxies (which I favor), is to take a small amount and really work it into the grip with your thumb. When you have the area you want to build up coated, then add a large amount on top of it. This gives the best ashesion.
MG-70

Post by MG-70 »

Rover, thanks for the tip. From my understanding, you're suggesting I press some material into the wood and then add more epoxy to that base. Should I let the bottom layer dry before building it up? It's a very small area, but will be over 1/4" thick.

Any specific brand of two-part epoxy. I've used this stuff before over the years for other jobs.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

No, don't let the first layer cure. What Rover's saying is exactly right; epoxy putty will not adhere as well, especially on contaminated wood (hand sweat, oil, dirt), if it is just pressed into place. You need to grind it in with your thumb ideally, or with a spatula if you're worried about developing an epoxide sensitivity - but that's really only an issue if you handle uncured epoxies occupationally, as in more than once a month. You can use a glove and just scrub the thin layer into the wood such that it bonds very thoroughly. Then work the remaining epoxy putty into that and then shape it.

As for which type, I really like this one:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... ,190,42997
QuikWood is available at other retailers besides Lee Valley. They have a range of putties for plastic, wood, metal, and other applications, but the one on that page is similar enough in colour to the Baikal beechwood that it won't stand out too badly. If you have some pigment powder you can play with blending that in. A 'maple' powder would probably be a good choice, or a very small amount of something darker, well blended. Most epoxies are quite tolerant of colouring or filling agents, and up to about 5% pigment powder by weight added to the putty would be fine. Colouring powders do make the epoxy slightly less adhesive, so don't add pigment to the first layer you're rubbing in.
MG-70

Post by MG-70 »

Barry G and Gerard, thanks for the tips! I just checked the epoxy I have at home; it's made by Loctite and dries a greyish white. I'll see if I can find the light-colored Quickwood locally, otherwise I may either order it, or just may try what I have.

Thanks again!
Barry G

Post by Barry G »

I'm sure I got Quickwood at either Lowes or Home Depot maybe around the paint dept.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Do you want a gun that looks good or points well. In my experience the grip gets uglier as I get the gun to point better. Sometimes I resort to grey paint.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Wow! They're much prettier than mine; all hogged out with multi-colored putty stuck on every which way.
MG-70

Post by MG-70 »

Well, since Quickwood wasn't available locally, I ended buying some JBWeld Kwikwood found at Home Depot, which turned out to be almost identical in color and smell (when applying and dried) to the two-part Loctite 5-minute epoxy I already had at home and found pretty much anywhere.

I ground it into the wood as suggested, though because of shaping and sanding, I had to make multiple applications. I finished the grips off with Formby's Tung oil, which I already had, in hopes it would protect the wood.

Neither the IZH 46M, nor the beechwood will ever win any beauty contests but they'll serve their purpose for now!

Thanks again for your tips and suggestions!

Finished product below: