Front sight vs Trigger press

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Front sight vs Trigger press

Post by seamaster »

Is it Front sight - Front sight - Front sight?

Or is it Front sight - Trigger press -Trigger press ?

Or is it Front sight - Trigger press - Front sight ?

Some master shooters would say trigger press is more important than front sight.

Front sight - front sight - front sight does not guarantee good trigger press.

Front sight for show, but the essence is in the trigger press.

Agree?
Rover

Post by Rover »

In a word: maybe.

Actually, I do agree.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Is there such a thing as reading your trigger press in the front sight. I hope you get what I mean.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

If you say trigger "press," you might be an action pistol shooter.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I think the phrase "trigger press" implies a motion that might not yield the desired results.

I get much better results with a "curling" of my finger around the trigger, totally independent from any movement in my hand wrist, or arm.
jackh

Post by jackh »

john bickar wrote:If you say trigger "press," you might be an action pistol shooter.
What is the proper word?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I would suggest that the two things are both crucial, but independent:
- 'Front sight' is something you are conscious of, and focussing on and at
- Your triggering action is something that you have learned from the previous 10000+ trigger releases
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Spencer wrote:I would suggest that the two things are both crucial, but independent:
- Your triggering action is something that you have learned from the previous 10000+ trigger releases
Totally agree, and to add, the trigger release should ideally be a subconscious action, so that you don't actually 'think it' it just happens.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

There are people, including me (when I was shooting competitively), who did exactly the opposite.

Sight alignment and positioning was left to the automatic "it". My concentration was on a smooth trigger release.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David Levene wrote:There are people, including me (when I was shooting competitively), who did exactly the opposite.

Sight alignment and positioning was left to the automatic "it". My concentration was on a smooth trigger release.
I readily admit that my response is a simplification, but without running to several pages of if/then bits the intent was to respond to the original post.

The mix of concentration on triggering, sighting, grip, stance, breathing, etc., etc. will depend on the shooter (ability, experience, 'depth' of training), the series (quite different between 50/10m precision and a 4-seconds rapid fire string)...
...plus the next 200 pages of considerations.
jabberwo

Post by jabberwo »

Spencer wrote:I would suggest that the two things are both crucial, but independent:
This is basically how I'm working it now. I got both "aim is more important", and "baby squeeze of the trigger is more important" when I asked a group of coaches at the OTC last year during 3 Times Air! One was the AMU coach, the other a USA Shooting junior development coach. So even at that level there is a dispute!

My take is you practice the trigger press against a blank wall, watching for the results in your front sight, so much that a steady press becomes automatic. When I'm are aiming at the target, the "baby squeeze" is subconscious so I can concentrate on the sight picture.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

jackh wrote:
john bickar wrote:If you say trigger "press," you might be an action pistol shooter.
What is the proper word?
"Squeeze" most aptly describes it for one-handed pistol shooting, IMO. Oh, and I like "mash" too for bullseye, as in, "As soon as the target quivers, mash it!" That is like mashing potatoes, not like mashing the Staples Easy Button.

Some people, notably the Brits on this board, use "release," which I'm not a fan of (no offense).

The difficulty is that we're all trying to make a verbal representation of a tactile sensation, which is why the confusion over terminology.

Of course, my trigger motion can more aptly be described as a "slap," a "yank," or even a "wail" :)
Last edited by john bickar on Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

David Levene wrote:There are people, including me (when I was shooting competitively), who did exactly the opposite.

Yeah, I do this. When I shoot my best, sight alignment and sight picture are taking care of themselves, and I am fully and totally concentrating on a smooth, aggressive, straight-back trigger squeeze.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Squeeze, press, pull, all same thing to me.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

john bickar wrote:Yeah, I do this. When I shoot my best, sight alignment and sight picture are taking care of themselves, and I am fully and totally concentrating on a smooth, aggressive, straight-back trigger squeeze.
I'm not sure I would us the word "aggresive" John. I prefer "positive" ;-)
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

David Levene wrote:
john bickar wrote:Yeah, I do this. When I shoot my best, sight alignment and sight picture are taking care of themselves, and I am fully and totally concentrating on a smooth, aggressive, straight-back trigger squeeze.
I prefer the term aggressive, as a "positive" trigger squeeze that is passive sometimes indicates a hesitation, which is the enemy of good triggering. Especially with a light trigger it is really difficult to tell if your triggering motion is both smooth and quick enough.

You can be very aggressive on the trigger without jerking the shot. Jerking for me is caused by getting parts of my hand other than just my trigger finger involved in the shot.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

David Levene wrote:
Yep, "aggressive" is indeed the word I want in this context, and I chose it deliberately.

And I think partly because I've used it as a mantra word for so many years. "Aggressive" (along with "smooth" and "mash") conjures up a tactile association for me; apparently "positive" does for you.

Another phrase I use as a shot plan reminder is "commit, commit, commit" - i.e., once you start moving the trigger it keeps moving and drives straight to the rear until BANG. Usually that does not take very long, and produces good results.

That's what I mean by "aggressive".

But, you know what they say about Americans and Brits - two people divided by a common language :)
BEA

trigger

Post by BEA »

You forgot jerk...not that you're a jerk, but jerk, controlled jerk. But sometimes I am an out of control jerk. That is another matter. And, when it is a really bad shot, I add the word "off" to accentuate the way I feel about myself. This is often enough that I have changed my range name to JO, but some call me Mr Off. For those here that don't know me, you will realize who I am if you shoot beside me. Many shooters have asked "you're Off are you?" I think I am getting as crazy as Rover.
john bickar

Re: trigger

Post by john bickar »

BEA wrote:You forgot jerk...not that you're a jerk, but jerk, controlled jerk. But sometimes I am an out of control jerk. That is another matter. And, when it is a really bad shot, I add the word "off" to accentuate the way I feel about myself. This is often enough that I have changed my range name to JO, but some call me Mr Off. For those here that don't know me, you will realize who I am if you shoot beside me. Many shooters have asked "you're Off are you?"
Not buying it - I've seen you shoot.
BEA wrote:I think I am getting as crazy as Rover.
This is fundamentally impossible.
BEA

Trigger pull

Post by BEA »

The safest way to watch me shoot these days is on video. I may not be a crazy as Rover, but it is always something to shoot for. When I finally get there, I am going to change my name to Raving.

Good to hear from you John and thanks for the compliment...and definitely the same to you. Hope you are doing well and finding lots of trigger time. Take care, Ben