Training 5 shot series at home ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I shoot different ISSF-style competitions i Norway, air pistol, standard pistol ++, but not yet rapid fire.

My "gun wardrobe" contains a Pardini SP new and Steyr LP10 (and cz 75 shadow for fun).

I dry fire both guns at home, and also shoot the Steyr at my home range (7 m) at scaled targets. This works well for precision training and slow fire, but not 5 shot series. I also work on strength and stamina physically and mentally (the last probably a lost cause..).

I would like to get to the next level, so should I buy a Scatt trainer or a LP50 with trigger adjusted to 1000 gr ? A Scatt would help a lot on precision, but not on sustained fire. The LP50 will not fully mimic a .22 , but will help on trigger work. Ideally I would buy both, but I have to work hard just to get permission for one. My boss at home is rather strict I'm afraid :-)
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

Are you wanting to train for .22 rapid fire or rapid fire air pistol ?

Thanks,
Ted
crocan

Post by crocan »

Hi Lindy,
How do you dry fire Pardini SP ?
Do you use any dummy ammo or empty 0.22 casing ?
Does anybody know what would be the most safest way to dry fire with Walther SSP (mech.) ?

ps.
I have same problem with my home-boss . But there is one successful strategy for 'how to win /even/ one battle in already lost war' .
PM me for quick instruction :)
rmca

Post by rmca »

Scale down a set of five rapid fire targets for your 7 meter range. Scale down the distance they have to be apart too (75cm from center to center at 25m).

Dry fire with your pardini. Put in the dry fire plug, cock the gun and do a series. It will only click in the first shoot but you act on the trigger once for each target.
Rapid fire is all about rhythm, you start with your arm at 45º and then lift to the target and shoot, next target, shoot, and so on...

The first shot is the most important, since the next four will follow it. First shoot bad usually means a bad series. First shot good, normally means a good series.
Train that first shot until you can do it perfectly. There is no point trying to train series until you get it right on the first shot.

So, dry fire the first shot, then dry fire a series with out time, then dry fire a series in 8 seconds, 6s and 4s.

Only when your comfortable with all that should you go to a 25m range and live fire (same order, first shot, then series with out time, then 8s, 6s, 4s).
Any thing else is just a waist of rounds as you will soon see.

Hope this helps
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Thank you all for replies.

Tedbell : none of the above, I would like to train rapid 5 shot series on precision and rapid fire targets, with 5 shots in one target. Time 6,8,10 and 20 seconds. Also duel series.

crocan : my Pardini came with a red plastic plug for dry fire training. About my home boss - I dare not try any trickery , the Geneva convension does not apply in my home.

rmca : thank you for reply. I did not explain properly, but will try your method when I start olympic rapid fire.

Perhaps the best is a lP50 , to allow me to train tigger managment quickly ?
kanedal

Post by kanedal »

Lindy wrote:Thank you all for replies.

Tedbell : none of the above, I would like to train rapid 5 shot series on precision and rapid fire targets, with 5 shots in one target. Time 6,8,10 and 20 seconds. Also duel series.

crocan : my Pardini came with a red plastic plug for dry fire training. About my home boss - I dare not try any trickery , the Geneva convension does not apply in my home.

rmca : thank you for reply. I did not explain properly, but will try your method when I start olympic rapid fire.

Perhaps the best is a lP50 , to allow me to train tigger managment quickly ?
Hi my friend.
There is always the possibility to change the LP10 for an E modell :-)
I wouldn`t worry to much about the proper trigger weight. My self have tried it with the LP5, but with neighbours all around in my block i prefer the LP10E
I guess you could use the LP50 without worrying the neighbours.
BTW. Hope you have plans to shoot at the national championships in July, since i am in the organizing comitte this year :-)