Morini CM84e cranked all the way right shoots center

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Autopsies

Morini CM84e cranked all the way right shoots center

Post by Autopsies »

This is mind blowing. Just back from trying to sight in my FP from a rest at 50 metres and I had to crank the hindsight all the way to the right to get it to shoot 10's. I am aware of tyhe adjustability of the stock foresight holder as well as the multi holed front end. I was super careful to be sure that they were absolutely vertical when I began with each. There is a problem here....there should be only one position where the set screw that holds the item to the front of the barrel fits into the pointed screw slot. Seems logical, but it is not there. The approximate is there , then you have to do the set and look 10 times before it becomes vertical. if you own the gun you know what I refer to. In any event, I don't want a rasp solution . I refuse to rip into a brand new grip that Scott provided me with. Francesco, this is your balliwick. When 2 guns ,new, have the same problrm ,there is probably a solution. If you have it, please let me know. Regards, Autopsies in Canada
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

it's no sense sight in FP from a rest.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

This may be a silly question, but there is a method to my madness.
Where does it shoot off hand as intended.
Are you right handed and using your left eye or the other way around ?
Only thing I ever have sighted in from a rest is a rifle.
I am not trying to be rude, it is an honest question trying to get to the bottom of your question.

Clarence
rmca

Post by rmca »

Can you get an hold of a boresighter? It helps...

Even from a rest, its quite difficult to get the pistol to shoot to the same place on the target. Its not the same as a rifle.

You can always sight it at 25m, just to get in the ball park, and on the 50m range you should only need a few clicks up/down to adjust for the distance. And perhaps one or two right/left.

If you are not confident in your shooting, try shooting 15 to 20 shots with out making any adjustment and aiming at the same place every time. Then see were your group is on the target and adjust accordingly. Look at the group not individual shots. Do this until you have a group centered on the black. Group, not shots.
David M

Post by David M »

Believe us, it is useless to sight any pistol in a machine rest. About as useless as getting someone else to sight your pistol for you.
Use a machine rest to group test ammunition only for the initial test.
Do it on a blank target and just measure the group size, it is comparitive testing only.
Once you have a couple of ammo's that your pistol likes, then you hand shoot it to check feel and feedback and pick the one you like best.

As for you sights, the barrel dimples for the foresight mount or compensator should only line up in one position.
Remove the grub screw and check the bottom end for shape and condition. If it has been over tightened it may be distorted and need a reshape of a fine stone.
Re-fit, and lightly screw in, locating the dimple, gently rotate the sight mount left and right as you slowly tighten the screw. The rotational movement should cease as the screw centres.
Now fit the foresight to the mount and check to see if it is vertical to the rear sight.
If it tilts left or right, your barrel may need to be checked for position. The barrel is located by the screw in the front of the trigger guard, and has a small amount of movement available for alignment (limited by the extractor barrel cut).
If it is only a small lean left or right, a small packing under the foresight blade will do the trick to tilt the sight a little. I use a small cut sliver of target patch stuck to the foresight blade.

Once the sight are true and square then you can start to sight in your pistol.
One thing that will make a big difference to Left/Right on a free pistol is trigger position.
Trigger too far aft - shots right
Trigger too far forward - shots left (r/h shooter)
Move your sight to move the group only (minimum 5 shots) deleting any called wild shots.
As the group gets closer to centre use smaller corrections.

Shooting a match should be a continual adjustment of group/sights. Light changes, wind changes, fatigue changes.
Remember the ten ring is about 10-12 clicks wide, one or two clicks will not take you out of the ten ring.
J.Hoes

Post by J.Hoes »

I faced a similar problem when I purchased my CM84E back in 2004
With sights centered, the pistol would group app. 20-25 cm to the right at 50m distance, from the rest and free hand. Grouping the 10 was only possible with rear sight set to extreme left and front sight slightly tilted to the right, leaving no room for adjustments.
I noticed that the metal plates of the receiver were slightly curving to the right, which could explain the problem.
I returned the pistol to the factory through the dealer, where they exchanged the barrel. That did solve the problem.

Greetings Hans.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

David M wrote:Remember the ten ring is about 10-12 clicks wide, one or two clicks will not take you out of the ten ring.
For you, maybe. (And I don't doubt that it is true, for you.)

The longer I shoot, the more convinced I am that a "click" is a subjective, rather than an objective, unit of measurement.

And my best guess is that this:
David M wrote:Believe us, it is useless to sight any pistol in a machine rest. About as useless as getting someone else to sight your pistol for you.
is the corollary.

For me, 10 clicks would take me into the 6-ring.

"Two on the gun and two in the head," as it were.
TomAmlie

Front sight base

Post by TomAmlie »

..... As a second issue, when you adjust the rear sight width do both ears of the rear sight move? If only one moves that could also cause a similar problem, since the apparent center of the notch will move.

I've had both of these problems in the past.

(edited after reading the original post all the way through....doh!)
conradin

Re: Morini CM84e cranked all the way right shoots center

Post by conradin »

Autopsies wrote:There is a problem here....there should be only one position where the set screw that holds the item to the front of the barrel fits into the pointed screw slot. Seems logical, but it is not there. The approximate is there , then you have to do the set and look 10 times before it becomes vertical. if you own the gun you know what I refer to.
I make sure the compensator and the breech area are totally level by using two levers, one on the breech end, the other on the compensator end. I have a barrel weight so I make sure the weight itself is totally flushed with the breech (in reality the chamber), and put the lever for the breech area on it. I usually do it with the pistol upside down.
After that I double check using the two levers, one on the breech end on top of the barrel weight, the other on top of the front sight blade, this time with the pistol in the normal position.
Having a gun vise help, but not a necessity.

Rear Sight adjustment comes later...