Precision or Sporter?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

HannahGary

Precision or Sporter?

Post by HannahGary »

I've been thinking about getting a new rifle and I see two that I'm interested in but I can't find out if they are precision or sporter. They look like they might possibly be precision rifles but I can't tell. Could anyone tell me what they are?
-Hammerli AR20 Silver Pro
-AiForce Edge (pretty positive it's sporter, just checking)
They were pretty cheap and I thought '...too cheap...' So if anyone could help I'd appreciate it.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

The AR20 is a entry level precision air rifle and yes the AirForce is a sporter air rifle. The AR20 is actually a fairly decent air rifle for the price as it has all of the features of a match gun (Walther Lothar barrel, 2 statge match trigger, adjustable stock) for a fraction of the cost. I've never held or seen an AirForce rifle so I cannot comment on them, but I've heard they are fairly good sporter rifles.
HannahGary

Post by HannahGary »

bpscCheney wrote:The AR20 is a entry level precision air rifle and yes the AirForce is a sporter air rifle. The AR20 is actually a fairly decent air rifle for the price as it has all of the features of a match gun (Walther Lothar barrel, 2 statge match trigger, adjustable stock) for a fraction of the cost. I've never held or seen an AirForce rifle so I cannot comment on them, but I've heard they are fairly good sporter rifles.
Thanks
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Edge is a Sporter and hit or miss when it comes to accuracy ... some are --- many are not.
AR20 is precision (a bit too heavy for sporter, and anyway, not an approved sporter rifle)

As noted, the AR20 is a beginner/intermediate precision gun. I saw your other post regarding your scores at the JROTC champs ... I think you are beyond this gun.
It's great for clubs & JROTC teams with it's low price point, but (my own opinion) not made as detailed as other precision rifles ... it'll shoot 10's all day long though.

I'd look for an 8002S2, 9003, P70/700 or a LG400 if you are planning on continuing to shoot after HS. If you are not yet shooting international matches (USA Shooting) start looking for matches to enter and plan on shooting JO Qualifiers.

Yeah, I know the cost is 2-3X the AR20, but you are choosing a gun for the next 6+ years.