Anschutz 1913 stock for HP rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Erud

Anschutz 1913 stock for HP rifle?

Post by Erud »

Hi folks,
I am mostly a Highpower shooter who has recently been dabbling in some smallbore prone for a little winter cross training. I have a 1913 that I bought used about 2 years ago on this board. I shot it once when I first bought it, then promptly forgot about it in the safe until about a month or so ago. After shooting 3 prone club matches with it, I can not believe how accurate it is or how comfortable the rifle is to shoot. In the last club match of the season yesterday I managed a 1199-82x on the 50 yard target.

Anyways, the way the stock fits is much better than any of my full bore prone rifles. I would love to try one on my 1000 yd Any rifle. Has anyone eer done this? Is there enough "meat" on the 1913 stock to accept a full-sized action without ruining it structurally? If it's been done before, can anyone recommend a gunsmith that might be able to handle the job?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Erik
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

You might check with Alex Sitman at Masterclassstocks.com

He does both high power and small bore stocks and shooters have had great success with his stocks. Of course he would want to sell you one of his. But he might also bed your high power gun in your smallbore stock.
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

Eric

It sure can be done, The limiting factor has been that Ahg stocks have always been so much more expensive than what you could purchase from Sitman/Bernosky, etc. I would bet you could have Bernosky duplicate your 1913- or he may already have a copy and not be that far away pricewise anymore.

Hardware is usually more expensive- but if you purchase from someone like Bill Earnest who makes "similar" to AHG price would be much more palatable.

The AMU has ordered Ahg stocks in the past that were not inletted, thus you bed them for anything. That is one drawback to using a true Ahg stock that has been inletted for a smallbore action- pretty big hole for the trigger etc- It can be accomplished though.

Smalbore stocks to me have always been more "inheritably" comfortable. I would not hesitate to build one because comfort buys points in my mind.

Kurt Kisch has a 260 Rem in a 1813 stock I think, maybe he would let you try it to see what you think.

Morgen
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Morgan
Earnest's products will not hold up to the pounding of a hp rifle. For smallbore they are ok, but for big bore it would not be money well spent.
ken
Erud

Post by Erud »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I will definitely check with both Mr. Bernosky and Master Class. Looking at the Master Class website, they definitely make some nice stuff.

I think the hardware is what i like best on the Anschutz stock. Particularly the way the cheekpiece can be tilted left-to-right really lets me get it locked against My cheekbone. I've never really shot any wood-stocked rifles before, do you folks think a stock of this type would be stable enough for outdoor mixed-weather shooting? Maybe looking to get one duplicated in a laminate is a better idea than trying to find an actual 1913 stock.

Morgen, I remember talking to you once briefly about your Mastin stock, would love to take a closer look at it sometime if we bump into each other...

Thanks again,
Erik
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

i dropped one of my Mastin's and it broke right behind the bedding block. I just picked up a used Sitman prone stock for my palma rifle.

I always have Randy add lateral movement to my cheekpieces, so they are similar to the smallbore stocks.

I wouldnt worry about weather, if they are sealed well and bedded well you just need to get a wood stock dry. To be honest, if it really is raining hard I will take a DNF if I am worried about my equipment.
Erud

Post by Erud »

mgdietrich wrote:i dropped one of my Mastin's and it broke right behind the bedding block. I just picked up a used Sitman prone stock for my palma rifle.

I always have Randy add lateral movement to my cheekpieces, so they are similar to the smallbore stocks.

I wouldnt worry about weather, if they are sealed well and bedded well you just need to get a wood stock dry. To be honest, if it really is raining hard I will take a DNF if I am worried about my equipment.
Ouch, broken stock is rough. :( How do you like the Sitman stock compared to the Mastin? I see that McGee also makes a "Palma Offset" stock that looks similar to the Mastin. I've not tried any other traditional stocks aside from the 1913, so my experience is pretty limited.

Are you going to shoot the 300m championship in 2 weeks?

Thanks again for the info/ideas.

Erik
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

Plan on being there, you can look at my Sitman.
Colin

Post by Colin »

You may have problems with the bolt throw, it's going to come back a lot further and may catch the cheekpiece.
I know Grunig do one which pivots up as you pull the bolt back
Just a thought
Erud

Post by Erud »

Colin wrote:You may have problems with the bolt throw, it's going to come back a lot further and may catch the cheekpiece.
I know Grunig do one which pivots up as you pull the bolt back
Just a thought
Colin,
Thanks, I had not thought of that issue. I hope to get a look at some more traditional stocks from local shooters to help me make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks all for the help.

Erik
Hubert

Post by Hubert »

Keppeler uses Anschutz stocks for its free rifle 300m:
http://www.keppeler-te.de/cms/pages/eng ... ifle.php#2
As I am comfortable with my Supermatch 1913 stock I have just ordered my 6,5x55SE in walnut as well.