Strong mount

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Freepistol

Strong mount

Post by Freepistol »

Is anyone using their Dillon 5-600 series without the strong mount, or do I need to spend another 50 bucks to get one?
Thanks!
Ben
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

I'll use it since 2008 without and no problem at all.
plus i can sit down, and look in the brass, because the press it's not too high.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I have a strong mount, but have not put it on the Dillon yet. You will need it if you want to attach a bullet tray. Some extra stuff that Dillon sells, attach to the Strong mount itself, and not to the actual press.
Clintw

Post by Clintw »

Another option; I use a welded T shaped plate with the press mounted to the horizontal and the vertical mounted in a vice. It gives me the height advantages of the Strong Mount but with quick dismount and rotation capabilities of a vice.
John C

Post by John C »

I use a strong mount. Without it I had to mount the press on the edge of my workbench. Pulling the handle down with vigor caused the bench to rock because the vector of force tips the bench forward. Although I could have anchored my bench to the floor or wall, I chose to mount the press farther back on the bench top, so the force of pulling the handle went into the front legs of my bench. The added bonus is being able to use the bullet tray.

I don't think the strong mount is necessary, but it's a worthwhile purchase. Check out ebay, there's a guy making knockoff strong mounts that are equal to or better than the real thing. They're also a bit less money.

-John
Misny

Post by Misny »

I have a 550 without a strong mount on my bench. I operate it while sitting on a drafting stool. The 650 I have is mounted on the same bench utilizing the strong mount. I operate the 650 while standing. Both configurations work well for me.
TonyT

Re: Strong mount

Post by TonyT »

Freepistol wrote:Is anyone using their Dillon 5-600 series without the strong mount, or do I need to spend another 50 bucks to get one?
Thanks!
Ben
I have used my 550 for over 15 years without the strong mount.
jackh

Post by jackh »

I use the strong mounts on each of 4 presses. The mounts are my quick change feature. I clamp or bolt the mount to the bench as needed. The off duty presses stand at ease in the corner on their own legs.
white_m

Post by white_m »

I always use strong mounts on my 650 as I am comfortable with it.