Model 41 chamber marks? (pics included)

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

adair

Model 41 chamber marks? (pics included)

Post by adair »

I recently noticed a mark from the firing pin on the face of the chamber of my S&W Model 41. I purchased it new and have put a few thousand rounds through it. I have never dry-fired it (except for perhaps once or twice).

I tried to take a few pictures of it and they can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/5ALHV Click on a picture to zoom in.

So my question is, is this normal? I'm still fairly new to this and just not sure if this is normal or not.

Thanks in advance.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've dry-fired my 41 thousands of times, but no sign of what you're showing.

If it deforms the chamber lip a bit you can file off the metal protruding into the chamber with not much fuss.
adair

Post by adair »

Thanks, Rover. Do you think it's anything to be worried about or worth calling S&W over?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

adair wrote:Thanks, Rover. Do you think it's anything to be worried about or worth calling S&W over?
I am not saying that this is a good thing, but a light peening like this on the chamber is better than a too short firing pin causing light hits, and a lot of failure to go bang during a match.
I peened the heck out of the chamber on my Marvel before finally figuring out that the firing pin was broken. When I sent it into the gunsmith who built it for me, he just did what Rover suggested, which was file the metal off where the peening had caused metal to extend into the barrel, (and replaced the firing pin).
All I am saying here, if the S&W gunsmith's solution to your issue, was to shorten the firing pin, it might hamper the functioning of the gun.
There is a very fine line between a good firing pin strike, and peening the edge of the chamber. If the error goes the other way, you have more issues.
waxman

Post by waxman »

If the gun feeds and ejects normally, not a problem.
I'd want to take a few thousanths off the firing pin to prevent further distortion of the barrel.
Use a tool like this instead of filing, since you don't want to "lose" barrel material by filing-
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d8869.aspx
John
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think the advice above is good. I would check the firing pin for breakage, though unlikely.

The chamber probably has been peened as much as it's going to.
spence

Post by spence »

My take is a little different. I took my mdl 41 to Roddy Toyota for a similar issue. No mark on the barrel face YET because I never dry fire without some protection in the chamber, but I thought the firing pin was a little longer than it should be and even then I had some sporadic ignition issues. When I picked the gun up from him he showed me how he reshaped the firing pin end where it strikes the rim and I understood him to say that the shape was an important key to reliable ignition. Needless to say it hasn't failed to go bang since and the dent on the rim of spent cases is deep and very distinct.

I very much doubt that the firing pin has to be long enough to smack the barrel face in order get good ignition. The rim of the case sticks proud of the chamber around 0.04" (around 1mm) on CCI S/V. 0.040" is more the the tolerance of a fine woodworker than for machine work. It's not a iffy thing between being too short and too long. There's a lot of room there for a very solid strike without being long enough to dent the chamber face.

So I would say send it to a great mdl 41 bullseye gunsmith and get the length and shape right and then shoot a perfectly functioning gun for several years with no worries.

Spence
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

spence wrote:My take is a little different. I took my mdl 41 to Roddy Toyota for a similar issue. No mark on the barrel face YET because I never dry fire without some protection in the chamber, but I thought the firing pin was a little longer than it should be and even then I had some sporadic ignition issues. When I picked the gun up from him he showed me how he reshaped the firing pin end where it strikes the rim and I understood him to say that the shape was an important key to reliable ignition. Needless to say it hasn't failed to go bang since and the dent on the rim of spent cases is deep and very distinct.

I very much doubt that the firing pin has to be long enough to smack the barrel face in order get good ignition. The rim of the case sticks proud of the chamber around 0.04" (around 1mm) on CCI S/V. 0.040" is more the the tolerance of a fine woodworker than for machine work. It's not a iffy thing between being too short and too long. There's a lot of room there for a very solid strike without being long enough to dent the chamber face.

So I would say send it to a great mdl 41 bullseye gunsmith and get the length and shape right and then shoot a perfectly functioning gun for several years with no worries.

Spence
I agree completely, However, the original poster asked if it should be sent back to Smith and Wesson. Since they are not great bullseye gunsmiths, they could easily cause worse problems.
Rover

Post by Rover »

As before; good advice.

But my approach has always been quick and dirty (and cheap).
adair

Post by adair »

Thank you all for your very helpful replies, much appreciated
davekp

Post by davekp »

Rover wrote:As before; good advice.

But my approach has always been quick and dirty (and cheap).
Quick, cheap, good.
Pick two.
1911nut

Post by 1911nut »

I've read in gunsmithing books it's preferable to swage out the chamber rather then to file away the metal.

And the tool to do this is:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d8869.aspx

I've heard more good things about Smith and Wesson's waranty/repair work than bad things.
My experience with them has been very positive. The downside is the cost of shipping a handgun if it's out of waranty. You might contact S&W to see if they'll send you a shipping label.

Art
xeye

mod 41

Post by xeye »

I heard that 41's go to a special place, not the reg S and W repair.
Rover

Post by Rover »

S&W fixed my 30+ year old 41 quick and with no problems.