ammo or lack of

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pmelchman

ammo or lack of

Post by pmelchman »

with the recent political situation, I can understand how all the 22 ammo flew off the shelf, so where is all the ammo now? Did they stop making it? CCI, Winchester, Remington, and all the higher end target brands, are gone....its like they just stopped production. I can only imagine that the US producers of the US ammo would make hundreds of thousands if not millions of rounds a day.....where are they? All the ammo that comes from Europe, might not produce the quantity, but they still produce . Our loca lammo shops were getting regular shipments at some interval but it seems that all shipments have stopped.

pmelchman
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Simple answer to a terrible story. Obama got re-elected, the ensuing mass hysteria over the tragic shooting in CT, ammo's going too be severly restricted, New York's famous SAFE law is enacted in secret, quick the apocalypse is happening----HORDE, HORDE,HORDE. Gun stores totally denuded of guns and ammo and reloading equipment within three- four days. So now you know what happened to your worthless target ammo----you cannot get any. God Bless Obama (with a brick). "Doc"
softreset

Re: ammo or lack of

Post by softreset »

It's become a game of "who do you know" or how lucky you are with timing. Not to mention a period in time that for most practical shooters just means that we're on the range and the non-prepared are left searching for ammo on empty shelves.

Ammo is definitely out there. I receive weekly email blasts from local shops that they've got more Rimfire ammo in-stock, ranging from Federal AutoMatch to Eley Match (and in between). The problem is that the amount available is 1/10th what they normal have for sale and the price is sometimes 15-20% more than you would have paid 6-months ago.

Regarding my practical shooters remark: I've always operated with the mindset that I maintain a minimum of 8 months supply. Many of the people on the line with me have enough to go 2+ years (these same people shoot daily).

One thing that a lot of "us" have been doing is posted when, where, what is in-stock across the Internet. There's been some great finds that pop up once in a while and recently I've followed a few leads to extend my cache of SK Rifle Match. Check it out -

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/fo ... y.php?f=31

The ratio of "finds" to "bellyaching" has swayed in the direction of bellyaching considerable over the past few weeks but it's worth a glance once in a while.

Good luck!
Peakconti

Post by Peakconti »

In all honesty nobody in my club can find .22 ammunition for sale anyplace. Our local Gander Mountain, Dicks, Walmart and local gun shops are all sold out. Champions shooters suppy and Champions choice are all sold out. I was searching the internet last night and could not find anyplace availalbe. I run junior program at our club and we have a lot of new shooters. As a club I purchase a case and sell it/ destribute it to our junior and new shooters at cost. I have found in the past that the new shooters do not know what to purchase, either paying way to much or purchasing ammunition not sutable for competition shooting (high velocity stuff). however they can not purchase anything right now and I am down to my last four bricks. Then I can give them one or two of my own stash so that thats enough for another 6 weeks. Then we are out, no more shooting. Even my own supply is very very low. I have enough rounds to shoot at our state shooting festival but I am not sure I have enough to practice with until the match arrives, I have four people shooting in my house.

Again, other people in my club are also running very low. People are not going to be able to go to our indoor range (pay fees) and shoot if they have nothing to shoot with.

I hope this drought ends soon
randy1952

ammo

Post by randy1952 »

Peakconti wrote:In all honesty nobody in my club can find .22 ammunition for sale anyplace. Our local Gander Mountain, Dicks, Walmart and local gun shops are all sold out. Champions shooters suppy and Champions choice are all sold out. I was searching the internet last night and could not find anyplace availalbe. I run junior program at our club and we have a lot of new shooters. As a club I purchase a case and sell it/ destribute it to our junior and new shooters at cost. I have found in the past that the new shooters do not know what to purchase, either paying way to much or purchasing ammunition not sutable for competition shooting (high velocity stuff). however they can not purchase anything right now and I am down to my last four bricks. Then I can give them one or two of my own stash so that thats enough for another 6 weeks. Then we are out, no more shooting. Even my own supply is very very low. I have enough rounds to shoot at our state shooting festival but I am not sure I have enough to practice with until the match arrives, I have four people shooting in my house.

Again, other people in my club are also running very low. People are not going to be able to go to our indoor range (pay fees) and shoot if they have nothing to shoot with.

I hope this drought ends soon
Champion's Choice just got their shipment last week and have been filling back orders. I just got two cases shipped to me today.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

With the opening of the Lapua and Eley test facilities in Texas and Arizona could they be one cause of the shortage?

They both guarantee a selection of lots to test for all their brands and availability of the ammo you select. That has to suck up a very large amount of ammo into the hundreds or even thousands of cases.
Peakconti

Post by Peakconti »

Thanks I will check them out an put in an order for some additional SKS, still need some less expensive stuff for the juniors (and my kids)