Information on Collegiate Recruiting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

markahopper

Information on Collegiate Recruiting

Post by markahopper »

My daughter is a junior in high school and has been shooting precision Air and Smallbore with a junior club for years. She informed us the last few weeks that she is interested in shooting in College if possible.

Can anybody give advice on how to go about the process of letting Collegiate coaches know about my daughter? I failed miserably with my son in football because all the advice I got was different.

My daughter will be at the JORC in April at the OTC, and I know several of the collegiate coaches will be there, but I have no idea how to navigate through this process.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

The best advice I can give you on this is to simply I.D. the coaches and their Colleges and introduce yourself---of course you are the conversation master at this point----try the soft sell of your daughter. If she has the "stuff" they will take a look or give their advise. Since she is ia Junior she has a couple of years, but don't waste the opportunity, strike early and often. Follow up after your meeting with correspondence to the coach directly, arrange for a visit during their season. Let her face and person be known---she has got to "sell" herself and her shooting. Work with your daughter to develop her personna---God's wishes after that. As they used to say in politics..."Vote early and vote often."......"Doc"
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Once competition starts at JORCs, the coaches will observe but really cannot chat until after the competition. There will be a sheet for her to put her info on that is passed out to the collegiate coaches.

Also, especially with the International/NCAA events (60 shot Air & 3x20 smallbore) any info you can send the coach do so. Many times on their websites for the school there is a "recruit questionaire" ... get that filled out.

Also, start checking into the NCAA eligibility center (what used to be called the clearinghouse) and getting your daughter signed up on that. Study the eligibility requirements to make sure that she is academically eligible and has taken or is going to take the require core courses. Sometimes (not always) a high school counselor can help here ... most don't know that shooting is an NCAA sport, so she'll have to inform them.

She CAN chat with the collegiate shooters at the match, introduce herself to some of the others attending or are going to attend some of the schools she's interested in.

You can network with parents of the same that are there too.