Newbie in doubt over whether to go for izzy or lp10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
major

Newbie in doubt over whether to go for izzy or lp10

Post by major »

hi everyone,

I have recently started practicing 10 m air Pistol( 2 months back). I shoot with Pardini Kid pistol at a nearby club. As it is a club pistol, someone or the other change the trigger weight as per their need and I have to shoot with a different setting altogether, as I manage to shoot only on weekends. My average scores are between 350-360 out of 400.

Now, I am seriously deciding to buy my own pistol . I want to buy a lp 10 but considering the costs involved, its not possible to buy it in the near future(3-4 months ) Now, after reading a couple of posts regarding the Izzy, I am in a doubt whether to for the izzy or wait for the lp 10. Also, if someone could help whether is it possible to repair an izzy in India if it malfunctions?

pls guide me through this...
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Buy the Izzy now so that you have a gun that only you are shooting. Work on your fundamentals ( do a search) and save up for the LP-10. When you are close to having the money for the LP-10 sell the Izzy for close if not all of what you paid for it. It shouldn't be that hard to get rid of. As far as repairing it there is lots of good info at pilkguns.com. Or ask a question here, someone will help you.

Scott
John C

Post by John C »

There's not much to go wrong in an Izh-46M, although I suppose it's possible. If you do basic maintenance, the seals will last a good long time, too. Just keep the seals lubed with a drop of Crosman Pellgun Oil or silicone air tool oil. I would guess that a local airgunsmith could easily swap the necessary parts, if one breaks.

The advantage of the IZH is that you're not dependent on compressed air availability. This will allow you to practice more at home. I don't have an IZH air pistol, but I do have a Pardini K58, which is also a SSP pistol. I really like the portability.

The IZH will allow you to work on your skills at home, with additional practice and dry fire. It will allow you to dramatically improve your scores, if you put in the work. You can buy more pellets with the money you save. Then buy the LP10.

Good luck!

-John
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

The Izzy is pretty robust and routine maintenance is simple. If you buy one new, there will be a set of replacement seals in the kit. If not, they are readily available - PyramydAir has a set if you can't find a source in India. It only takes basic tools and a little mechanical know-how to work on one and there are plenty of people on TargetTalk who are willing to help. There is also some good stuff on the Pilkguns site - go to http://www.pilkguns.com/ and click on "10P Files", then click on "Baikal" - you'll find a link to an exploded diagram and a slide show showing how to replace the main seal step-by-step.

As to whether you should buy the Izzy or wait until you have the dosh for a "world class" pistol, I think the other contributors have it right. Get the Izzy now and set it up so that you have something consistent to practice with. It will take a lot of shooting before you are better than the gun and when you are ready to upgrade you can get a good chunk of your investment back by selling it to another newbie.

Besides, think of how much fun it will be to use the Izzy to beat someone who spent 3-4 times as much on a high-end AP thinking that they can buy points!

Good luck -

Roger
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good advice on all points. It is a large saving if you don't have to buy your air supply on top of an already expensive pistol. Why would you be making a choice between the cheapest and the most expensive APs out there?

Because a lot of people drank the CA Koolade, there are plenty of world class CO2 pistols out there for little money. Also, you may be able to find a used Pardini K58 or FWB 100 series for not a lot of money. They would certainly be a step up from the Baikal and generally require only new O-rings occasionally. The FWB 65 series are certainly competitive also.