Optimal TOZ 35 SNs

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
J

Optimal TOZ 35 SNs

Post by J »

Has anyone found a specific SN group in the TOZ 35 or 35N that tend to be more accurate on average, or better made than others? Not an individual gun, but a group as a whole?
BEA

TOZ 35

Post by BEA »

I shot a TOZ for a long time and never heard anything about serial number preferences. As far as I know, they are all shooters as they come new.
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

The early TOZ pistols with "CCCP" markings seem to be a little higher quality than the ones stamped "Made In Russia". Mine was made in 1966 and for something that is old as I am and has changed hands a lot over time, it is an incredible shooter for an inexpensive (in comparison to other pistols of its class) pistol.

That said I have shot both a newer one and my own and both seem to be just as good. Finish is definitely better on the older on IMO. But that is all hit and miss as well. Remember in Russia, you do not make a pistol, the pistol will make you*LOLZ*
sparky

Post by sparky »

bubba_zenetti wrote:The early TOZ pistols with "CCCP" markings seem to be a little higher quality than the ones stamped "Made In Russia". Mine was made in 1966 and for something that is old as I am and has changed hands a lot over time, it is an incredible shooter for an inexpensive (in comparison to other pistols of its class) pistol.

That said I have shot both a newer one and my own and both seem to be just as good. Finish is definitely better on the older on IMO. But that is all hit and miss as well. Remember in Russia, you do not make a pistol, the pistol will make you*LOLZ*
Wow, that would probably be one of the few times something manufactured in a commie country was of higher quality compared to something made in capitalist country.
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

bubba_zenetti wrote:The early TOZ pistols with "CCCP" markings seem to be a little higher quality than the ones stamped "Made In Russia".
Huh, mine doesn't say CCCP or Russia, it says "Made in USSR"
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Wow, that would probably be one of the few times something manufactured in a commie country was of higher quality compared to something made in capitalist country.
I own two Russian motorcycles and a very fine Russian watch. They often focused on function over form or aesthetics, but put out some very good stuff. When I think Russian, I think of functional and fixable. .
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

sparky wrote:Wow, that would probably be one of the few times something manufactured in a commie country was of higher quality compared to something made in capitalist country.
Remember Yuri Gagarin? He was a Soviet cosmonaut. He was the first human to journey into outer space, when his Vostok (Yes, VOSTOK - just like the firearms!!!) spacecraft completed an orbit of the Earth on 12 April 1961.

I'm not saying it was high quality but they got there first with a machine that did the job!

That was the same year that the Toz-35s (designed by Efim Khaidurov) were released and began their decades of worldwide wins and records. Maybe not a high quality finish, but the choice of champions because of the high quality design and manufacture, I suspect.
j-team

Post by j-team »

jliston48 wrote: ...He was the first human to journey into outer space, when his Vostok (Yes, VOSTOK - just like the firearms!!!) spacecraft completed an orbit of the Earth on 12 April 1961...
Vostok just means "Eastern".
tqb

Post by tqb »

Some say that Yuri wasn't the first man in space but his comrade Vladimir Ilyushin...
But for the history books it was Yuri Gagarin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Ilyushin
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

j-team wrote:
jliston48 wrote: ...He was the first human to journey into outer space, when his Vostok (Yes, VOSTOK - just like the firearms!!!) spacecraft completed an orbit of the Earth on 12 April 1961...
Vostok just means "Eastern".
...and also the "brand" name of many engineering products from the old USSR - from watches, firearms, motorcycles to spacecraft and space stations.
joel

Post by joel »

djsomers wrote:
I own two Russian motorcycles and a very fine Russian watch. They often focused on function over form or aesthetics, but put out some very good stuff. When I think Russian, I think of functional and fixable. .
I own/have owned many Italian and Japanese motorcycles as well as fine Swiss watches and can tell you that the Russian products are extremely sub par. They are functional, yes, and definitely fixable as they often need to be fixed. Another example are optics. German Zeiss optics are leagues beyond the Eastern Jena Zeiss.

JMO,

Joel
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

joel wrote:I own/have owned many Italian and Japanese motorcycles as well as fine Swiss watches and can tell you that the Russian products are extremely sub par. They are functional, yes, and definitely fixable as they often need to be fixed. Another example are optics. German Zeiss optics are leagues beyond the Eastern Jena Zeiss.

JMO,

Joel
Totally dependent upon the level of par required to 'accomplish the task'. Bling and marketing bullshit are western ways to herd sheep and increase cash flow. The more "fine" an item is, the more dependent the consumer is on someone else to maintain it. With properly presented spin, consumers can be manipulated into thinking excess is a necessary and positive feature.
joel

Post by joel »

slofyr wrote:
joel wrote:I own/have owned many Italian and Japanese motorcycles as well as fine Swiss watches and can tell you that the Russian products are extremely sub par. They are functional, yes, and definitely fixable as they often need to be fixed. Another example are optics. German Zeiss optics are leagues beyond the Eastern Jena Zeiss.

JMO,

Joel
Totally dependent upon the level of par required to 'accomplish the task'. Bling and marketing bullshit are western ways to herd sheep and increase cash flow. The more "fine" an item is, the more dependent the consumer is on someone else to maintain it. With properly presented spin, consumers can be manipulated into thinking excess is a necessary and positive feature.
I race 125cc and 250cc 2 stroke race bikes. There is no bling nor anyone but me to maintain them. I've raced Japanese and Italian bikes and it is something that the Russians don't do even though they make motorcycles. There is no marketing or pseudo-consumerism involved, just fact. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, it just isn't.

Joel
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

SeanM wrote:
bubba_zenetti wrote:The early TOZ pistols with "CCCP" markings seem to be a little higher quality than the ones stamped "Made In Russia".
You have one that was destined for export and a later year.
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

bubba_zenetti wrote:
SeanM wrote:
You have one that was destined for export and a later year.
Interesting. You wouldn't happen to have any good links to more information like this, would you? I've always wanted to read up on the history of the gun but apparently my google-fu isn't very strong. It probably also doesn't help that I only speak English...