Hi folks, new guy here

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Brewster20

Hi folks, new guy here

Post by Brewster20 »

Just joined up, and I have a question....I have been shooting ISSF Bullseye for about a year now, approaching the magic 500 ! But my S&W Model 41 is getting a bit tired (stovepipes, FTEs FTLs etc.) I have tried Wolf springs, vigorous cleaning etc. I am seriously thinking of upgrading to an Olympic style pistol. The favorite at my club is the Walther GSP Expert, and I like it a lot. However, in doing research on the web, the Paradini SP New is coming up a lot, especially in the price department. A GSP Expert will run me $ 2,000.CDN and change, while the Paradini is aprox $ 1,650, I haven't tried or even seen a Paradini at the range. Are there any opinions on either of these pistols.
Thank you, and I apologize if this topic has been addressed previously, but I couldn't find anything.
Cheers
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I have the GSP and love it,
Pardini is a great pistol also.
If members of your club have both, I would try each.
Advantage of the GSP is you can get the 32 upper.
On the Pardini you have to buy the 32 first.
Brewster20

Post by Brewster20 »

Thanks for the reply Jake, do you mean there is a .22 upper for the Paradini ?
I did not know !!
Cheers
SL
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Yes, Pardini is in Tampa, Florida.
Google the phone number and get the latest info from them.
They also have a web site.
Brewster20

Post by Brewster20 »

Thanks, will do
SL
Chris

Post by Chris »

I have a Pardini and it is great. I have had it for 15 years. It is a little picky (the magazine is) about ammo that is slightly long like US made ammo. You can make a mod to fix this. I have replaced the firing pin once and the extractor once. If the action is clean and you have ammo that functions perfect you will not have very many alibis if any.

For me I like the grip angle as it suits me better. If you want something more upright like a 45 then you may want to consider a different pistol the FWB.

Good luck in your search.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I would work out the bugs of your M41.
I have shot in the 870's with mine.
No reason to look at something else.
I must digress, I now shoot a Marvel...

Looks like time to really clean that chamber and replace the extractor and spring.
I know you said vigorous cleaning, but do not clean the barrel(rifling), just the chamber.
I never use anything but a nylon brush for the rifling and use a brass brush in the chamber to get rid of the carbon ring.

Look into the chamber really good, you will maybe see a carbon ring.
Get that carbon ring cleaned out.
That is your semi extraction problem.
The other extraction problem is your extractor and spring.

Good luck.

Clarence
Brewster20

Post by Brewster20 »

I vigorously cleaned the chamber with a wire brush coated with G-96 (?) bore cleaner, passing the brush through quite a few times, followed by an oiled patch. Just put 200 rounds through it with 1 stovepipe...its getting better !!!
Cheers
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

I use a 6mm bore brush in my cordless drill to clean chambers.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Hammerli 208.
Brewster20

Post by Brewster20 »

Right after I find the Holy Grail : )
Cheers
SL
Brewster20

S&W 41 Problems solved ?

Post by Brewster20 »

OK, after all the problems with my 41, ie FTF, FTE, FTLs etc, I replaced the spring with a Wolf 6.5 Lb, and a Wolf Firing pin spring, just shot 200 CCI SVs with absolutely zero problems !!!! with a string of 7 "10"s in a row...Yipeee
Cheers
mlaorange

Post by mlaorange »

glad to read u had a good day at range

problems may have been the shooter

had a few times at range were had bad scores then for a run of 3 weeks

were i shot 741 each time
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

I had all kinds of problems with my M41 too, stovepiping etc. After trying every home remedy on the internet short of reaming the chamber, I sent it back to S&W twice and they fixed it the second time. I have no idea what they did and they aren't talking.

Found a nice Pardini SP and now shoot that exclusively. Way better trigger (two stage) and I like the grip angle. Trigger is highly adjustable too as are the anti-recoil weights in the muzzle. Cant go wrong with a Pardini. Cannot comment on the GSP.

I do love to shoot my 41 but it is a plinker now.
Brewster20

Pardini SP New

Post by Brewster20 »

Yeah, I'm really tempted, found a dealer here who sells the .32 version new for $1,700. Cdn......Unfortunately all he has left are the .32s....I'm looking for the .22
Shot my 41 last night, very pleasing results, literally shot out the 10 ring !!
Merry Christmas
Cheers
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

If you are shooting out the 10 ring with the M41 and are happy with the reliability, stick with it. They all shoot great and I think it is more a matter of getting the pistol to funtion reliably and then practice, practice, practice....er... train, train, tain....

You can spend a lot of money chasing the Holy Grail and never realize it is already sitting in your gun safe.

Of course it is lots of fun to try different pistols.....

A reletively new shooter but I bet Vic Alverez would say the same thing.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Old Vic Alvarez will kick your ass!
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Rover wrote:Old Vic Alvarez will kick your ass!
He does every week! If and when I progress to point of being competitive with Vic, I will be happy shooter.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The name Vic may very well be magic. We have a Vic Olsen here who shot a 99 slowfire at 50 yards with his self accurized .45 and a 100 slowfire at 25 yards with the same gun.

The only reason to change from your 41 Smith is if you would rather have a different grip angle or if you can't get small enough grips on your 41 to be happy.

My 41 wouldn't shoot lower velocity rounds and I figured I needed different springs but was shooting a High Standard and never looked into it until the 41 extractor broke when I loaned the gun to someone. I gave the gun to Mark Arrow in St. Louis and he changed the extractor and after the fix it would shoot Aguila. I asked if he changed springs or something and he said that he hadn't but the extractors need to be custom installed for them to work right and if they weren't correct they wouldn't feed all ammo properly. I have no idea what that means but other smiths might. -- Bill --
Michaeljohn

Post by Michaeljohn »

Vic may very well be magic.