computer recommendation for new RIKA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
R.E. Smalley

computer recommendation for new RIKA

Post by R.E. Smalley »

I'll be taking delivery of a RIKA soon and I am wondering if there are compatability issues with newer computers.

Will RIKA work with any of the MACBOOKs?

I know the guy that owns the local computer store. If I can't use a MAC I will have him build something for me. Or I'll have him fix a MAC for me, if possible.

I had hoped to get something I could use for anything, but I'll get a dedicated unit for the RIKA if I have to.

What is likely to cause me problems?

Thanks all,
Ralph
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Rika should have a list of compatible hardware & software. I would avoid Windows 8, as it's extremely unlikely they've had time to make sure it works OK.

I have a Noptel system, and got a small Toshiba notebook computer (Windows XP) to use with it. I use it for coaching as well as for myself, and it's very portable. I've been very pleased with that setup.

I checked their web site, and it looks liek they only support Windows machines:

Computer requirements – technical description

Processor: Pentium I or higher/133 MHz or higher
Memory: at least 32 MB RAM
Hard disc space: at least 10 MB
Display: resolution from 640 x 480 possible, 800 x 600 or higher recommended, 16 colour minimum
Computer interface: 1 USB port
Others: CD devise, mouse
Operating system: Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, Windows ME/XP and Windows VISTA and Windows 7 (except 64 Bit versions )
rmca

Re: computer recommendation for new RIKA

Post by rmca »

R.E. Smalley wrote: Will RIKA work with any of the MACBOOKs?
As standard no. But like with all windows software you can create a virtual machine in the MAC to run a windows operating system. There are two programs that are commonly used: VMware and VirtualBox, the first is payed the second is freeware.
It will always be a bit slower that a computer running just windows, but if you are a MAC guy, get used to it ;) (sorry, couldn't resist)

The other thing you have to watch out for is that not all virtualization software supports the USB port, witch you will need to connect the system.

That being said, if you are comfortable with technology get the MAC with a virtualization software, but I would strongly advise to get a PC running Windows, even if it is an old one.

Post your thoughts when you finally get it running.

Good shooting
R.E. Smalley

bought a dell

Post by R.E. Smalley »

I bought a used Dell off my local computer guy. Corporate turn in. It's got USB, 80gig HD and 2gigahtz dual core processor. for 275.00. I don't need a lot of computing power.

He recommended XP anyway, as opposed to the newer operating systems, for this computer.

I can use it to check my email instead of the library computers, which I have been doing for several years. That and a basic word processor for resume updates is all I really need.
rmca

Re: bought a dell

Post by rmca »

That sounds right...

Give the openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) a go if you want a more elaborate word processor. It's free.

Cheers