Looking for information concerning SIG P240

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Haemmerli208s

Looking for information concerning SIG P240

Post by Haemmerli208s »

Hi Folks,
on the WWW seems to be only few information concerning the SIG P240 Pistol (any Caliber 22, 32 S&W or 38). So I would appreciate information concerning this pistol (history, year of production, number of produced pistols, pros/cons, reviews, loading datas etc.).
Thank for your help
uwe from Germany
David M

Post by David M »

The P240 was around when I started in pistol shooting in the 70's and finished early to mid 80's.
I owned a three barrel set (.22,.32,.38), for centrefire the .38 was the better gun, but you had to be very careful with loads.
It was basically a 9mm barrel with a bore of .352-.354, chambered for .38 wadcutter only. So you had to size down projectiles to suit.
A lot of P240's were used in Australia for our unrestricted service match with warm loads for 50yards. If you used a HBWC and did not resize them, you would seperate a skirt in the barrel and the next shot would buldge the barrel.
The P240 barrel was necked down past the chamber, very thin and very prone to buldging.
Hard to find a good one these days, and parts impossible. I am still shooting its stablemate the P210 and sorry I ever sold the P240.
Leon

Post by Leon »

" Hard to find a good one these days, and parts impossible. I am still shooting its stablemate the P210 and sorry I ever sold the P240."

Good ones are often for sale in Germany , like this one - http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=4128571

Going price for an 'as new one' is about 7 - 800 Euros, though I did pick up an 'as new one', boxed with everything off egun for 306 Euros.

Best source for parts is in the US - from Larry's Guns. They bought the entire P240 parts bundle from Rococsystem. They have everything for P240s...
princeron

Post by princeron »

Leon wrote:" Good ones are often for sale in Germany , like this one - http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=4128571
woooahhh expensive but its worthy

Last edited by princeron on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haemmerli208s

Post by Haemmerli208s »

I have bought one only days ago, this is the reason why I would like to have some more information concerning the whole Series P240s. It is in 32S&W so I am looking also for load data suggestions and I am also interested in the history / developement of the P240. P210 are a lot of information in the web but P240 only very few.
uwe from Germany

Post by Guest »

princeron wrote:
Leon wrote:" Good ones are often for sale in Germany , like this one - http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=4128571
woooahhh expensive but its worthy
Seriously!!!! An as new P240 at just over $1000.00 and you think that's expensive? I'd take half a dozen if I could find a simple way to get them over here. That's one of the finest competition guns in the world - and for the price of SW41 (which will need a trigger job out of the box).
Leon

Post by Leon »

" I am also interested in the history / developement of the P240."

Have a look at the book - http://www.rocosystem.com/Kesslerbook/

It has information on the development history of the P240...
Gort

Post by Gort »

Haemmerli208s

Post by Haemmerli208s »

Thanks a lot people. Unfortunately the books concerning SIG Pistols are very expensive (one causes even trouble ;-)) see the link) and if I would have been a little clever, I had bought an example years ago ;-(.
The caliber I have bought is 32 S&W long. Most P240s are obviously in caliber 38?
uwe from Germany
http://sigtalk.com/classifieds/3692-das ... tolen.html
Leon

Post by Leon »

I have the book _ Das Grosse Buch der Sig Pistolen and the Kessler book.

In my opinion, the Kessler book is miles better - it also shows the development of the P240 - from a SIG 210-5 chambered for .38 Special WC.
Haemmerli208s

Post by Haemmerli208s »

At last I have my new / old P240 in 32 S & W. It comes with two Magacines, the "proof medal" and the box. Unfortunately witout the manual and without the disassembling tool. With the copy from Pilkguns in the WWW I was able to disassemble the P240 easy and remove all the dirt from the last decades ;-).
Still waiting for the Lapua brass but then when I got them I try first with 100 grs H & N in .312 with 1.5 grs Rottweil P801.
uwe
Attachments
P240.jpg
Leon

Post by Leon »

You don't need the dis-assembling tool for the .32 P240 - it is really only useful for the .38 P240 - mind you a paperclip works just as well for this...
Haemmerli208s

Post by Haemmerli208s »

OK, I have understand the procedure of disassembling for the 32 S&W. Very easy but why the part in front which must be moved forward has been made of plastic?
Maybe because of its weight?
It would be nice for me to own the whole set as delivered, even if I have no need for the hand tool.
uwe
Leon

Post by Leon »

For the disamembling tool, try Harald Berty in Germany - www.sig210.de ( he used to have some ), also Larry's Guns in the US. ( they bought rocosystems stock of P240 parts, which was huge ).

This tool also pops up on egun.de as well.

Good luck !