New member to the forum

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

XJUMPER

New member to the forum

Post by XJUMPER »

Greetings all,
I learned of the TargetTalk forum through our club forum at CR-PC. Indicated a lot of good info from friendly and knowledgeable members.
I'm always open to and appreciate good info and guidance. Hope I can be helpful in return.

That being said, I'm looking for information and opinions from any members using Tula and/or Sellier & Bellot brand of pistol primers, small and large.
Quality and reliability? Seating effort?
Loading all my handgun ammo on my Dillon 650.

Thanks much,
James
Clintw

Post by Clintw »

You will find most of the shooters very helpful on this forum.

I'm in the Northwest and have not seen either Tula or S&B components available. Maybe we are slower to get them. Typical large/small primers available locally for me have been Federal, Remington, and CCI. Some say there is noticeable differences in sensitivities (listed more to less) and CCI with an ever so slightly larger diameter. I've used thousands of all three through my Dillon 450/550 without any problems. When given a choice, I tend to pick CCI as they are manufactured locally to me (Lewiston, ID I believe still) and more consistently available. Prices are about $33-36 per thousand locally.

It'll be interesting to see if primer prices drop a little with the availability of Tula, S&B, and Wolf. There was a several year period not too many years ago where we had difficulty getting primers in any kind of volume.

Is there a reason why you are wanting Tula and S&B primers?
XJUMPER

Post by XJUMPER »

Hi Clint,
I've long been a fan of CCI and Federal primers. Started loading in 1987.

I do remember the primer shortage a few years back. There were other items running short as well.

I've started loading for three family members and the issue for them is price difference. Looking at Powder Valley and Graf & Sons, if I order enough then we come out better even with paying the Hazmat than buying locally. Price on CCI 500 and 300 is $26/1000 at Powder Valley and that's a good price. Tula is $19.60/1000 small and $20.50/1000 for large.
Graf has the Sellier & Bellot for $110/5000. I would certainly order more than 5000 because once I get these guys going good the rounds will go fairly quick.

A healthy number of benchrest, F-class, X-course and varmint shooters have stated good results with Wolf/Tula primers. Just haven't heard opinions from folks loading handgun ammo with these or the S&B primers.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Wolf, Tula and S&B, are low end quality products.
You are better off staying with the USA stuff like CCI, Win. Rem, or Federal.
You get what you pay for, in reloading cheap can be dangerous.