"SMALL" Primers In .45 ACP Cases?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mr alexander

"SMALL" Primers In .45 ACP Cases?

Post by mr alexander »

A shooter at my local indoor range saw me retrieving my spent .45 cases.

Not being a reloader, he kindly offered me the now once-fired brass from his supply of spent factory ammo.

Later at home, I noticed that this Federal brass had small pistol primers in it!

I did not get to the see the actual box that his factory ammo came in while at the range.

I called ATK (the folks who own Federal and CCI/Speer) about this, but have not received a call back at this time.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this is being done?

I would not reload these cases with my current .45ACP "recipe" until I know for sure that it would be safe to substitute small primers for the normally used large primers!

Any comments?
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

To be totally honest, if it were me, I would just chuck them in the garbage so that there is no way that they would get mixed in with my proper .45 brass.

It will put a dent in your rythym if one pops up in your reloading process.
I think that the spp are crimped in, so you need to swage the primer pockets.
Your current load using the spp would be somewhat lower in velocity.

You could save all you collect and sell or give it all to someone who has converted to spp .45's.

Clarence
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Most recently there are some manufacturers using the small primers in their processing .45 ACP rounds for sale. I purchase new virgin brass every two years and stay away from small primers for the .45 ACP....."Doc"
mld

Small Pistol Primers

Post by mld »

The small primers in .45 brass such as Federal and Blazer is not crimped. You remove the old primer and seat a new one as per normal.

The only hassle with the small primers is sorting the brass so you don't try to seat a large primer in a small pocket and vice versa.

I have noticed no difference in the performance of my loads using the small pistol primer.
Ernie Rodriguez

Small Pistol Primers

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I totally agree with Perkins-get rid of the 45 cal casings that use small pistol primers. I don't care why the manufactures do this,except cost savings,but it jams up most semi auto reloading presses.
Last edited by Ernie Rodriguez on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gort

Post by Gort »

From what I have noticed, Federal, Winchester and CCI Blazer all make .45 ACP with small pistol primers. If you notice, the cartridges with the small primers have lead free primers. For what ever reason they can't or won't manufacture lead free primers in the large configuration. On a progressive press, they are way more trouble than they are worth. I cull them out and throw them away.
Gort
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Winnchester and federal used lead free large primers for many years, they are easy to spot if deprimed as they have a larger flash hole, i guess its cheaper to go with the small setup but i dont care to use them but its still good brass if you want to fool with it.
Coastwatcher

Post by Coastwatcher »

Don't throw them away. Trade them to someone who uses small primer .45
JamesWhite

Post by JamesWhite »

Throwing is not a good idea since you have had spare amount of money for that particular item. Trading is a good idea that in return you can get back have been invested.
Pyroman

Post by Pyroman »

I've done the opposite: I've gotten rid of all my large pistol primer .45's. No reason other than all my other pistol calibres I reload for are small pistol primer. (.32 S&W Long, .380 ACP, .38spcl, .30 Mauser, 9x19mm) It just streamlined my logistics to make everything small primer. When I switched to small primer brass, I didn't alter my .45 recipe. I shoot it just as adequately.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

After reading the posts here, I tried loading some small primer brass, 45's, can't see a difference. Shoots good in my bullseye pistol.
Since my carry gun is a 45, I will use this brass for my practice ammo.
Will use the Dillion 550 I use for 9mm, won't have to change primer setup, and not touch my bullseye setup.
Guntrainer

Post by Guntrainer »

Small primer 45 ammo tends to have more uniform velocity and a stronger case head. I also have switched to SP brass.
farm boy

Post by farm boy »

For the experienced reloader the cases with SPP are not really much of a hassle on a progressive if missed in sorting. I use a case feeder so I am running the cases through fairly quickly. On my LNLAP the feel of the de-prime and sizing is different from the LPP cases. When it comes time to seat a primer unless your a gorilla that slams away one knows immediately before any problems that a SPP case is in place in stead of the LPP case.

I reload for match ammo so I am very aware of my stroke and pressures to maintain as consistent COAL as possible but even for my plinking loads where I am rocking and rolling the errant SPP case is noticed - usually at time of de-prime and size. Especially the Federal brass - It is a lighter resistance. I have had others tell me they have the same experience catching the errant spp case.

If you are a new reloader with a progressive less than 10k through your press - disregard and double/triple check your brass so you don't pop off a LPP trying to slam it into a SPP case