Air rifle palm rest rules

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

silentfury214

Air rifle palm rest rules

Post by silentfury214 »

Hello all, I was designing a palm rest for a smallbore rifle and thought of some good ideas that could transfer over to air rifle. However, while I was reading the ISSF rules, I found that palm rests cannot be used in Air competitions. Don't all air rifles have some sort of palm rest, or something similar? What is their definition of a palm rest?
Thanks!
justadude

Post by justadude »

'fury

The palm rest is defined in rule 7.4.3.3:

A palm rest is any attachment or extension below the fore-end which aids the support of the rifle by the forward hand. The palm rest must not extend more than 200 mm below the center line of the barrel.

In the days of old, it was pretty easy to look at something and say "Hey, that is a palm rest." Because they were a very well defined grip mounted below the rifle. Today even the smallbore rifles tend to use a simple flat plate or extension but the difference comes in to the depth from the barrel centerline.

If you look at the Dimensions for an Air Rifle you will note the depth of the fore end cannot be more than 90mm below the centerline of the barrel. So even a flat riser block that extends beyond that metric would be considered a palm rest, regardless of shape.

Hope this helps

'Dude