Picked up an Old Toz-35

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MadKap

Picked up an Old Toz-35

Post by MadKap »

Hello all,

Awhile back, I picked up an old Toz-35. Put a few rounds through it, so it functions!

Four things that I'd like to do/need to be taken care of.
  • •The rear sight is loose. Like the dovetail is too lose for the sight.
    •The grip does not fit me well. Should I get a rink? Where from?
    •Would love to run this guy with a suppressor. The single shot action screams for it to me. Who can thread a pistol like this? Maintaining the front sight of course.
    •I need a case for it, it did not come with one. Is there a great aftermarket case or a recommended pelican case I can cut the foam for?
Really excited to get this pistol a little more usable! Thank you for any info. Let me know if any pictures are needed of the rear sight assembly.
montster

Try a tool box

Post by montster »

I use a tool boxes hold my toz, scope, ammo, misc shooting gear. Has a
nice handle, gasket built into the lid, easy to add padding, doubles as a air pistol box too. Recall mine is a Stanley "Boss" model.

For the grip if size is right start sanding. If to small suggest an aftermarket grip and keep the original in case you resale or you should be able to sell it outright. Aftermarket grips are out there, not inexpensive. Best to google search. Used ones are rare.

Suppressor. Can't help you there.

Great pistols, easy to work on. Parts are available from Larrys Guns in Maine and the host of this site may have some.
FredB

Re: Picked up an Old Toz-35

Post by FredB »

MadKap wrote:

Four things that I'd like to do/need to be taken care of.
  • •The rear sight is loose. Like the dovetail is too lose for the sight.
    •The grip does not fit me well. Should I get a rink? Where from?
    •Would love to run this guy with a suppressor. The single shot action screams for it to me. Who can thread a pistol like this? Maintaining the front sight of course.
    •I need a case for it, it did not come with one. Is there a great aftermarket case or a recommended pelican case I can cut the foam for?
1. There is no dovetail. The rear sight is held attached by 2(?) screws accessed from underneath. You'll need to remove the grip.
2. Get an aftermarket grip (e.g. Rink or Morini). Remaking the the original grip is certainly possible, but you have to know what you want and what you're doing.
3. This gun does not need, nor should it have, a suppressor. The front sight assembly would have to be cut off the barrel in order to thread the barrel. Don't ruin a classic gun.
4. This is no different than finding a case to fit any other gun.

FredB
BEA

Toz 35

Post by BEA »

Clean looking pistol. I agree with Fred, no comp needed. I have had a Toz for years. Fitted original grip to my hand but it is lots of work and it is ugly, but these are great free pistols. Mine has been ultra reliable even though thoroughly used. They are extremely capable and put you at no disadvantage.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

MadKap wrote: •Would love to run this guy with a suppressor. The single shot action screams for it to me. Who can thread a pistol like this? Maintaining the front sight of course.
If you want to run a suppressor, there are better choices. The Hammerli 120, for example, makes a nice SBR and would be a gem if suppressed. On this pistol, you'd wind up with a severely nose-heavy balance that would be rather disappointing. All this is just IMO, of course.
MadKap

Post by MadKap »

Fantastic feedback guys, thank you very much.

I took the wood off the pistol and found the screws were loose, my mistake on assuming it was a dovetail!

I'm investigating different grip options now.

As far as the suppressor is concerned, I hoped to use it so that I could practice more often by annoying neighbors less with gunfire.

Are there any recommendations for some kind of spacer to keep the fore-end properly indexed without the wood?
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi,

I think your idea for the suppressor is a great one. There are .22 specific suppressors out there that are only a few ounces and fairly compact. The Silencerco Sparrow, for example, is only about 5" long and 6 oz.
I would suggest shortening the barrel. If you read some of the past posts on "TOZ modifications" (use the search tool) you'll see lots of extensive mods, including the forend issue you mentioned. I have seen many TOZ-35s with 7"-9" barrels for use by juniors. For you, this would more than make up for the added weight of the suppressor.
I'd cut the barrel to at least 9", recrown it, and have it threaded. Some of this is easily DIY (see past posts as per above).
As far as the front sight is concerned, the TOZ-35, as opposed to the TOZ-35M, uses a front sight whose base band is fitted to a relief cut round the perimeter of the barrel. That could be easily machined on a lathe, including threading for the suppressor. In fact, all the barrel work could be done in one session on a lathe.
Alternatively, you could use a clamp-on sight base as is often found on match rifles. This would also make it easy to have the front sight visible over the extra diameter that may be encountered depending on your choice of suppressor.

Best Wishes!
Jim
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

I shoot CCI Quiet out of my TOZ and it helps lots over CCI SV. Try it. Shoots great.
VeraKeisey

Post by VeraKeisey »

Nice shoot. Like it.
agentr

Post by agentr »

I did the compensator route on my TOZ. It caused the grouping at 50 m to open up to about 1.25" from .336. I did help with muzzle flip but this is a single shot pistol so flip is irrelevant. Ended up going with a 30g weight at the end of the barrel. This help mellow out the front end movement. see original post for mods viewtopic.php?t=20712&postdays=0&postor ... &start=160
agentr

Post by agentr »

The grip is huge so you can modify it yourself to fit. Once agin got to this thread to see mods viewtopic.php?t=20712&postdays=0&postor ... rt=160[url][/url]