Free pistol purchase Maryland

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Karlrex

Free pistol purchase Maryland

Post by Karlrex »

Anyone have any experience with purchasing a free pistol in Maryland? 

Since it is a "Regulated firearm", how did you and your FFL holder handle the requirement that the gun have an "internal mechanical safety device" or an "Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Device"?

For a Morini for example, does the electronic trigger system satisfy the definition of an internal device (remove the battery and the gun is inoperable)?

Does anyone of the approved safety devices fit free pistols with their very long breach to muzzle lengths?
conradin

Post by conradin »

Free Pistols are exempt from all these laws. Just use a regular FFL and it will be fine.
Karlrex

Post by Karlrex »

Where did you find the information that Maryland state law excludes free pistols from the class of regulated firearms?
TomAmlie

They've got a little list

Post by TomAmlie »

Another post from a non-Marylander....

It's my understanding that the State has a list of approved firearms, which includes some free pistols. For example, to my understanding, the TOZ35 is on the approved list, while the TOZ35M is not. I remember about a year ago I sold a TOZ to a guy in MD (he was an FFL-holder) and he tild me that.[/quote]
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

They have a search engine for approved handguns, by manufacturer:

http://icac.mdsp.org/services/handgun.asp

The Morini free pistol is on the list.
Karlrex

Post by Karlrex »

I do indeed appreciate all the out of state help and I really don’t want to sound ungrateful to the people who took the time to respond, but I already KNOW that the Morini is on the approved list of REGULATED guns. The critical point here is that it is indeed REGULATED. That means that the MD FFL seller needs to provide a spent cartridge case to the police AND the gun needs to leave his store with an "Internal Mechanical Safety Device" or an "Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Device". So again, I am asking people FROM Maryland, who have first-hand experience, does the Morini electronic trigger system satisfy the definition of an internal device ? Or, does anyone of the APPROVED safety devices (there is a special list available on the web) fit free pistols with their very long breach to muzzle lengths?
FredB

similar situation

Post by FredB »

I can't answer your specific question, but we do have a very similar situation in California. Certain FPs are on an approved list, so they don't need to have true internal safeties. However they must leave the FFL where they are purchased with a state-approved safety device attached. Of course, none of the state-approved devices come anywhere near fitting a FP. What I have found, FWIW, is that some (most?) CA FFLs will feel sufficiently in compliance as long as you purchase a state-approved safety device from them at the same time you receive the gun, and the gun and safety device leave their premises in a locked case. While this procedure does not meet the exact letter of the law, it is safe and reasonable. It might be worth asking whichever FFL you are employing if doing it this way will suffice.

HTH,
FredB
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I think it does...certainly no mention was made of those silly locks when I got mine a few years ago.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Karlrex wrote:I do indeed appreciate all the out of state help and I really don’t want to sound ungrateful to the people who took the time to respond, but I already KNOW that the Morini is on the approved list of REGULATED guns. The critical point here is that it is indeed REGULATED. That means that the MD FFL seller needs to provide a spent cartridge case to the police AND the gun needs to leave his store with an "Internal Mechanical Safety Device" or an "Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Device". So again, I am asking people FROM Maryland, who have first-hand experience, does the Morini electronic trigger system satisfy the definition of an internal device ? Or, does anyone of the APPROVED safety devices (there is a special list available on the web) fit free pistols with their very long breach to muzzle lengths?
Very strange indeed. Have you talked to Pilk? The list is not a regulated list, but rather an exempt list. Sometimes it is so loose, such as "Anschutz FP".
madmull

Post by madmull »

first i don't live in the USA but i own a morini.
the gun has a internal mechanical safety device: the on/off switch.
there is a second safety device (electronically) the lightbeam which has to be broken.
And if you transport the pistol with a steel wire through the barrel and a normal lock it is safe for you to transport( it is not perfect for the pistol)
Karlrex

Post by Karlrex »

MikeM

Can you please let me know which FFL holder you used?
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I got mine used...I think Nicholas Cromwell did the transfer. Where are you?

My advice...go buy yourself one of those Omega locks in .22. Bring it with you. The rifle length should work. http://omegagunlock.com

That being said, remember that the Morini's have that electronic detector - they won't fire without a finger inside the trigger guard. That might be satisfactory.