Is Lazer shooting going to replace .177 for ALL shooting ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gomire

Is Lazer shooting going to replace .177 for ALL shooting ?

Post by gomire »

I am hoping someone can speak to this topic with some insight.
background:
2011 Modern Pentathlon competition replaced the Air Pistol/ outfitted it for a lazer target. http://bit.ly/ModernPLazergun

With the success of the lazer targets in London, does anyone know the expanse to which this idea will spread?
Is this the future of .177 and .22 shooting sports?

thanks
j-team

Post by j-team »

Only if we let it.

If it did, I would ditch the sport and do non Olympic style shooting instead.

The sport would almost die at grass roots level because the initial attraction for a lot of new shooters is firing the guns. Later comes competition motivations (mostly).
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't think they're doing shooters many favors.

The NRA still has air pistol events.

I'm no Olympian, but I would have to say, "Screw 'em!" (Or if you're a Brit, "Bugger the lot!")
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I agree with j team and Rover...., however the ISSF that represent our sport at that level, like many governing bodies, make decisions often based on influences external to the desires of shooters, such as government and anti shooting pressures, and in many cases not representative of what may have been decided if a shooters referendum had been taken.
The only chance we have lies in making a strong enough representation to ISSF officials, indicating that the future direcection of our sport should be mainly controlled by shooters wishes, and that the officials are the switches to represent and implement what WE want ! Unless everyone pulls together, laser shooting will replace all live fire, and we will have no option but to put our tails between our legs and either accept it or move on. Centrefire will be lost first, then Black Powder,.....then live fire.
Remember, if our elected officials are not prepared to represent us as we wish them to, then they should be replaced with people that will.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

deadeyedick wrote:I agree with j team and Rover...., however the ISSF that represent our sport at that level, like many governing bodies, make decisions often based on influences external to the desires of shooters, such as government and anti shooting pressures, and in many cases not representative of what may have been decided if a shooters referendum had been taken.
The only chance we have lies in making a strong enough representation to ISSF officials, indicating that the future direcection of our sport should be mainly controlled by shooters wishes, and that the officials are the switches to represent and implement what WE want ! Unless everyone pulls together, laser shooting will replace all live fire, and we will have no option but to put our tails between our legs and either accept it or move on. Centrefire will be lost first, then Black Powder,.....then live fire.
Remember, if our elected officials are not prepared to represent us as we wish them to, then they should be replaced with people that will.
Hello, I saw you are from Australia; did the people favor gun controls to reduce crime? Why didn't the people fight back or replace the people in charge for passing a law that forces citizens to turn in their firearms?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Hello Kevin, firstly let me say this. No, I don't believe that reducing gun ownership by registered owners has made a great difference to criminal activity,...secondly, the change in gun laws relating to long arms was relative to semi automatic rifles and shotguns only, for which above market value was paid. Finally, the handgun buy back was voluntary, and was introduced in the hope of reducing the number of handguns within our community. Top dollars were paid for anyone wishing to voluntarily turn in handguns. If you wished to keep your collection then so be it....it was not compulsory. A tremendous amount of lobbying by the people that are actively representing shooting in Australia was responsible for the outcome not being worse. We didn't lie down and roll over....many, many people worked tirelessly for us to continue the sport we currently love and enjoy in this country.....we obviously had the right people for the job.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

deadeyedick, thank you for sharing your insight information about gun control in Australia. Here in Costa Rica, carrying concealed arms is a concession by the state (to citizens), not a right. Little by little, our government is planning to take away the firearm rights of law abiding citizens, eventhough they have not figured a better way to cut down the crime rates in Costa Rica.

Kevin