Cleaning Walther GSP EXpert

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
400driver

Cleaning Walther GSP EXpert

Post by 400driver »

First post and after lots of searches I have had no luck with an answer.

A return to shooting after many years and I now have a Walther GSP Expert in .22 LR.
I always try to take care of my equipment and want to maintain the pistol in great shape.

When it comes to cleaning I have seen it written that the use of the copper brush on the bore is not advised! Can anyone offer some advice on this. I have been using patches and a bore rod up to this time. As the pistol comes with this brush it seems strange that I don't use it. I have some Break Free CLP on order also.

Can someone recommend a good cleaning regime for me and this pistol?
Many thanks
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

What I was always told was never to change direction with any metal brush while it was still in the barrel.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Ok. A good start, I will add that to my technique.

Thx
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I never use a brush on a 22LR barrel. I use a piece of nylon monofilament line with a patch wet with Hoppes#9 tied to the end and pulled from the chamber end. One swipe usually takes out all the crud. At most a second fresh patch will certainly clean it up.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Many thanks
john_almighty

Post by john_almighty »

any match pistol barrel should be treated with delicate care. at my club we used to clean the barrel with a cloth on a nylon wire pulled through the barrel. we used to put a few drops of any good gun oil followed by a few more quick pulls to clean excess oil. you dont need to oil too much unless you are leaving it in a safe for too long. also the breech etc, we would clean it with a toothbrush with soft bristles. give it a few good rub and a compressed air can to blow out the dust. do keep your face and especially eyes protected when using compressed air. I learn it the hard way what lead dust can do to your eyes.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Is Rem oil ok or shall I wait for my break free CLP?
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I neg;lected to mention that i do clean off the breach and bolt faces with a piece of paper towel moistened with Hoppe#9. Sometimes I use a Q-tip cotton swab to do the barrel ramp. Once a year I take the bolt out, disassmble it and relube with RemOil.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Many Thanks Tony