Starting out

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
schatzperson

Starting out

Post by schatzperson »

I am assisting a woman shooter starting out with a GSP.
The pistol is used but in excellent condition and came equipped with a two stage trigger that had been adjusted for single.
I am unsure if a two stage trigger is suitable for both Slow and Duelling in women's pistol especially a total beginner.
Advice welcome please.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I am sure opinions will differ, but I think a crisp single stage trigger will be easiest for a beginner. Often a beginner can not feel the breaking point between the two stages of a two stage trigger, and it will feel to them like a long roll, which will defeat the purpose of having two stages. Pay some attention to adjusting it so that she does not have to stretch or rotate her grip to get good finger placement on it, and then start with dry firing.
ilionkid

Post by ilionkid »

For me the single stage was much easier to start on than trying to keep track of what was happening on a two-stage trigger. There is a lot going on with a beginner and many things to (try to) keep track of.
schatzperson

Starting out

Post by schatzperson »

So single stage it is !
Had her do dry firing drills, grip, stance, lock wrist/elbow, squeeze follow through etc for two weeks.
On her second day at the range at 10 M ( no other opt. available at the time) she was shooting groups a somewhat larger than the black ( 25 m target reduced for 10 m).
However the groups are Super Consistent to 4 or 5 o'clock.

She believes its because she squeezes the grip hard just before trigger release. I am not saying anything so far because she's sure that this is the cause and want to let her sus it out on her own for a short while.

Isabel, you predicted the "finger placement issue" !
Its not that she has large hands, but I guess because of long skinny fingers, she felt much more comfortable with the trigger shoe ( GSP) absolutely ALL the way out and beyond !
David M

Post by David M »

Two stage will also be OK provided that you do not make the second stage too light.
Try setting it up at 600g/400g for weight with just a hint of second stage roll off.
The pre load on second stage will help stop the trigger snatch in the rapidfire stage and the little roll off will help prevent early shots whilst holding that pre load.