Men behaving like women? Not that there anything wrong..

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Men behaving like women? Not that there anything wrong..

Post by toddinjax »

Okay, so (just like you maybe) I work a full time job, have a wife, house, dog, bills, medical issues, study jazz guitar, yada yada yada. I can't help but wonder..if the best male shooters in the nation/world (professionals) train for the power of concentration to perform 60 perfect shots....is that not a signs that mere mortals with gobs of other responsibilities who don't have 4-8 hours a day to train (amateurs) should not try to do so much? I've been thinking the ladies program of 40 shots makes more sense for a working stiff with so much on their plate. Maybe I'm just being wimp and just need to suck it up! Any guys out there alter their training/expectations with consideration to the time that they have, rather than the conventions of the sport? I'm just thinking out loud here, but you have to concentrate and perform at an equally high level, just for a bit less time. And time is of course the great commodity in our world.
Your thoughts please.

P.S. As for what is appropriate for amateur women with work and family responsibilities...beats me,... but they generally do more than men in those fields anyway, so they're likely to just go ahead and train for 40 + 10 anyway!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

You really think it takes takes less time to train for a the 40 shot match than the 60 shot match?

Go shoot rapid fire its only a couple of minutes of shooting.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Richard H wrote:You really think it takes takes less time to train for a the 40 shot match than the 60 shot match?

Go shoot rapid fire its only a couple of minutes of shooting.

Haaaaa good one Richard!!
Rover

Post by Rover »

I guess that's why women don't shoot Free Pistol or Center Fire; the giddy social whirl just doesn't allow them the time.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I think you could boil it down to priorities. How bad do you want to be on top or do you just want to be fair at shooting, golf, fishing, and tennis. Whatever you want should be your priority because after all, it is your life. -- Bill --
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

Richard H wrote:Go shoot rapid fire its only a couple of minutes of shooting.
72 seconds, actually! for scoring shots.

That's 1% of the time taken to shoot a 50m pistol match.

So it's hardly worth getting the pistol out of the box to train for RF, isn't it?
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I think the question might better be "How do I manage my effort to relax when not aiming."

Think about it...You need to focus 100% for the 10 seconds involved in delivering the shot. Including sighters and finals, that's 800 seconds for a gold medal. Thirteen minutes. The key is managing focus, and in maintaining focus with minimal effort.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Rover wrote:I guess that's why women don't shoot Free Pistol or Center Fire; the giddy social whirl just doesn't allow them the time.

Margaret Murdock infuriated the euro snobs so much the the IOC and the ISSF gamed the system so that men and women would shoot separately, and their scores could not be directly compared. Thus the 40 shot match instead of the 60 shot match, and the elimination of free pistol for women and the replacement with sport pistol.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Margaret Murdock infuriated the euro snobs so much the the IOC and the ISSF gamed the system so that men and women would shoot separately, and their scores could not be directly compared. Thus the 40 shot match instead of the 60 shot match, and the elimination of free pistol for women and the replacement with sport pistol.[/quote]

That sounds like something (white) men (who are threatened by strong, successful, competent women) would do. It happens in other sports routinely too, as in billiards; the men don't dare play against the ladies...no matter how much the women challenge them.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

toddinjax wrote:Margaret Murdock infuriated the euro snobs so much the the IOC and the ISSF gamed the system so that men and women would shoot separately, and their scores could not be directly compared. Thus the 40 shot match instead of the 60 shot match, and the elimination of free pistol for women and the replacement with sport pistol.
That sounds like something (white) men (who are threatened by strong, successful, competent women) would do. It happens in other sports routinely too, as in billiards; the men don't dare play against the ladies...no matter how much the women challenge them.[/quote]

Let's not make this a racist thread. There are a lot of men and women who have been culturally conditioned to believe that getting beat by a woman (at anything) is something shameful. I am sure the European rule makers had a lot of support from the eastern Mediterranean, north Africa, and Asia. This is what I love about Camp Perry, and conventional pistol. The NRA shoots by classification and I feel like I have accomplished something when I either win my class or shoot a personal best.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

That is well said Isabel. I had an exchange student from Japan that was a nurse and she wanted additional training in the U.S. She shot in our indoor bullseye league for the year she was here. When some of the Japanese engineers with our firm that were here while we were installing a 100 ton press at GM heard that it was possible to shoot handguns while they were staying in America, they had to have a go at it. It was a riot because she beat them so badly that they couldn't stand it. She shot a 44 magnum Ruger with one hand round after round and she didn't weigh 100 pounds but had sense enough to let the gun go back and over her shoulder to absorb the recoil in a long distance and she didn't let the kick ruin her trigger control. The men had to be macho and hold the gun real stiff in their hand and try to keep it from jumping at all and their hands started to hurt enough that they had to quit plus they would miss so much it was an embarassment. The evening finished off when I stopped on the way back for ice cream. Japanese men think ice cream is for women but since I was a body builder and way bigger and stronger than them and ate it, they didn't know what to do but eat it also while exchanging foolish glances back and forth. -- Bill --
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

oldcaster wrote:That is well said Isabel. I had an exchange student from Japan that was a nurse and she wanted additional training in the U.S. She shot in our indoor bullseye league for the year she was here. When some of the Japanese engineers with our firm that were here while we were installing a 100 ton press at GM heard that it was possible to shoot handguns while they were staying in America, they had to have a go at it. It was a riot because she beat them so badly that they couldn't stand it. She shot a 44 magnum Ruger with one hand round after round and she didn't weigh 100 pounds but had sense enough to let the gun go back and over her shoulder to absorb the recoil in a long distance and she didn't let the kick ruin her trigger control. The men had to be macho and hold the gun real stiff in their hand and try to keep it from jumping at all and their hands started to hurt enough that they had to quit plus they would miss so much it was an embarassment. The evening finished off when I stopped on the way back for ice cream. Japanese men think ice cream is for women but since I was a body builder and way bigger and stronger than them and ate it, they didn't know what to do but eat it also while exchanging foolish glances back and forth. -- Bill --
So Bill, I expect you hang out at Andy's in Port Clinton? Let me know what night you will be there next year, and I will buy. Kate
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

If I were to go to Perry, I would be sure to stop by but my health isn't the best anymore because I am bothered with a peripheral neuropathy that is similar to MS. I get around OK but it is hard to talk me into traveling because I have no stamina. I am not going to whine about it though because all I have to do is look around and I will see someone who has it a lot worse, plus, my 68 years have been great. -- Bill --