Barrel worn out?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

sureshot007

Barrel worn out?

Post by sureshot007 »

I've been shooting a Win 52B since the mid 90s. It has the original barrel on it, and I've put at least 100k rounds through it in that time. Who knows it's history for the 50 years previous. Is there any way that I can check to see if the barrel is toast?
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

You could have the barrel set back, but for the cost I would just install a new quality barrel. I think the price of a new barrel is inexpensive compared to ammo and time.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Best way is probably to see how well it shoots in a clamp aka as you would batch testing. Ideally you'd need to test a few batches of high end ammo.

Rob.
corning

Post by corning »

would it pay to have a gunsmith (or someone) look at it with a bore scope? you would at least get a sense of the condition of the barrel.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

corning wrote:would it pay to have a gunsmith (or someone) look at it with a bore scope? you would at least get a sense of the condition of the barrel.
I did think of that as well, but not sure how good a view that would give you. It would show up obvious bulges or big marks but not sure that's as useful, or informative, as how well it actually shoots. And a gunsmith may just try and sell you a new barrel anyway.

Rob.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I would at least get the barrel recrowned. Cleaning mistakes more than barrel wear or throat erosion are a 22's worst nightmare. This typically affects the crown. A 20x stereoscopic microscope would be helpful.
Chris
justadude

Post by justadude »

The last two comments by corning and RobStubbs bring up an interesting point.

Sometimes you can scope a bore and it will be pretty ugly but the barrel shoots great. Other times the barrel will be pretty but still won't perform.

If you have a barrel that does not shoot, scoping and slugging it can tell you if you will likely solve the problem by having the barrel set back or if there are other issues that would indicate it was best to start over but it is not really the first line of investigation for how well a barrel shoots.

Put it on a rest or cradle, try some different target grade ammo's and go on from there.

In the grand scheme of things, Winchester used to make some really great target barrels so in spite of the age, you might find there is nothing wrong with it.

There is my 2 cents

'Dude
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

Thanks for all the replies.

I have had the barrel cut and crowned since I've owned it, so that shouldn't be an issue. I shot it tonight, 50ft on A36 targets - 100-10x, so maybe it's just me after all (which I figured as much). Is it possible to hold the x ring at 50 feet but shoot like crap at 50 yards?
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

In shooting anything is possible when it comes to performance swings lol. I would agree with a good bench test being the deciding factor and if that proves to be the case and you need a new barrel I would also opt to just get a new one versus setting an old one set back.

When you see the microscopic pics of the differences in a factory stock barrel and a hand lapped barrel it is like night and day. Funny thing is most of the factory barrel shoot pretty good all things considered. But when you look at the rifling cuts on say a Remington 700 barrel it looks like a Coon tore into a can of sardines, all jagged and rough sawtooths all over. Then look at a Kreiger etc and it is as smooth and finished as granite to the eye.

Bo
tenring

Post by tenring »

It really does not matter what it looks like as long as it still shoots. I do all my testing off a bench and at 100yds with a scope. Of course we have a certain overall group size we look for. Mine is a minimum of 15X's at 100 and well within the 10ring. A local friend and old timer and olympian from the 70's (wont mention his name) has and old 14xx he still shoots that has the same factory barral on it. Has well over 100K rounds through it. As seen with a borescope it hardly has any grooves for the first 3inches. He won one of the matches at Perry a few years ago with it and still dominates with it now.

tenring
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

sureshot007 wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

Is it possible to hold the x ring at 50 feet but shoot like crap at 50 yards?
My feeling is that barrel imperfections will show up more as the distance increases. So it will be worse at 100Y, slightly less worse at 50M and better still at 25Y (or 50 feet etc). I have no idea if that is correct in practice however but in my head it makes sense :)

Also don't forget the ammo will be a big factor. You didn't mention what ammo you shoot and / or if you batch test it ? If you do that may answer all your questions !

Rob.
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

The last targets were shot with Tenex, but I generally don't shoot Eley because I haven't had a ton of success with it. My rifle seemed to really like the Federal 900B/UM1, but since I can't get any of that stuff anymore, I've been left searching for something that is good enough. I shot RWS R50 at Perry this year, and it seemed ok, but in those windy conditions, who knows.

I haven't done any extensive testing at all. I have access to an indoor 50 yard range locally, I could try to bench it there. What sort of rest would I need for best results? This indoor range is set up like a pistol range, so no solid benches to attach to.
corning

Post by corning »

sureshot007 wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

Is it possible to hold the x ring at 50 feet but shoot like crap at 50 yards?
In a word: YES!
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

So who do you guys recommend for a new barrel? Who can I send it to for a quality installation?