FWB 65 Choice of Champs

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

FWB 65 Choice of Champs

Post by Rover »

I note there were two FWB 65s for sale in the Classifieds. They were quickly snapped up.

I guess there are still some folks out there that realize the latest bells and whistles won't buy you points. There are plenty of newbies who have no idea how good the old technology really was.

Just trolling for those who drank the Kool-Ade.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I lusted after one of those guns long before I had ever heard of 10 M AP. In 1972, Beeman announced the P1 and I called around to find a dealer. I finally reserved one that turned out to be one of the first 100 produced. I wanted the P1 because it was advertised to have a recoil more like a firearm than an airgun and I thought it would be something to practice with. I drove 2 1/2 hrs to a shop near Cincinnati to pick it up and while I was chatting with the owner he mentioned a recoilless pistol that he had in for service. The idea that the action slid to compensate for recoil impressed me as super high tech. He loaded it and let me fire it once. As I recall, I pointed the gun at the target, squeezed the trigger and heard it go off. I did not feel it, just heard it. I stood there in what looked like a perfect follow through but was just me too stunned to move. It was a customer's gun and the shop owner would not let me try it again, so I took my P1 home and played with my new toy without realizing what I had shot at the shop.

Ironically, I broke the P1 out a couple of years ago and that was what got me started looking at other AP's. I bought an IZH 46M, then a Morini CM162 EI and it's been a downhill spiral ever since.

But I would love to have another go with an FWB 65 and if ever anyone offers one for sale when I have a momentary burst of too much cash, I just might.

Roger
taz

Post by taz »

I strongly disagree.
I have a FWB 65 in excellent condition which I used when I was shooting 20+ years ago.
I started shooting again and soon ordered a Steyr LP10E.
You will find a post I made concerning the recoil of the Steyr and how I expected more from modern technology and it was not so different to my old FWB 65 if a shot was perfectly executed.
Some members posted that my memory of the FWB 65 was not correct. They were right, recently I took the FWB 65 with me and shot a few shots.
It was like trying to hit the target with a bat.
The pistol was too heavy, the sights were too high above my hand, the recoil a lot more perceptible, it took more effort to cock etc.
The pistol is as accurate as my LP10E but my hand is not a vice.
My Steyr is a lot easier to shoot and this simply buys me points.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

taz wrote:The pistol is as accurate as my LP10E but my hand is not a vice.
My Steyr is a lot easier to shoot and this simply buys me points.
These 2 sentances should be placed, in big letters, in the archives so that they will always be easily found.

Today's top level match guns are much easier to shoot than those of 30+ years ago. They are probably more of an advantage to those not yet at major International level; those who do not have near-perfect technique.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I bought one a while back to use as a loaner at our air pistol matches. It saw use immediately by someone being introduced to the sport. They are great guns for folks wanting to try the game and don't want to invest a lot of money. The Izzys have a devoted following, but the 65's are great for beginners.
PFribley

FWB

Post by PFribley »

I have an FWB65 and 80. I really like both of them. The 80 has a better trigger. I also have a FWBC55 and a Crosman Skanaker. The 65 and the 80 I train with. They make me shoot the 55 and the skanaker better. Because they are not as easy to shoot.They are no heaver than the other two without the barrel weights I have on then. They are just as accurate. That cocking 60 times in a match wares you down. I guess that why I don't have an Izzy. When it comes to match time the the C55 come out of the box. Again remember " its the gunner not the gun."