Practicing FP and AP at a range?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
vHoff

Practicing FP and AP at a range?

Post by vHoff »

I'm dealing with a problem that I was hoping more knowledgeable members might be able to help me with.

I live in a single room in an apartment and there really isn't enough space for me to set up a range so I am a member at an indoor shooting range in the next town over.

I shoot air pistol there and will soon start shooting free pistol as well. The problem, though, is the other shooters.

I find it very hard to concentrate with lots of other shoots shooting large calibers (.40 S&W, .45ACP, etc.). Maybe it's just because I'm in an indoor range and it causes the shot to resonate more, but my aiming and shot process is difficult. The issue isn't even the sound - it's the concussive force of the round going off that's distracting. It sometimes causes flinching and I might be able to maintain top concentration for only a second or two before some idiot next to me blasts away and then laughs about it with his buddies.

How do other people cope? For the record, I have monitored my shooting when there have and have not been other shoots on the line and, unsurprisingly, I shoot better when there aren't other people blasting away.
JJJJJJ

Post by JJJJJJ »

wear ear plug and muff might help
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

I have the same problem at my indoor range. Whenever possible, I go when the range just opens. They are never packed early, but they do get busy in the afternoon. The other thing I do is try to get the end lanes. With these lanes you are only bothered by one shooter. I know is hard to concentrate when you are trapped between 2 .45 caliber shooters. Talk to the range and ask them at which times they get real busy and at which times they are not. By knowing this you can schedule your shooting accordingly. You can also time your shooting so you shoot when they are reloading their magazines. And most of all, stay away from the riot shotguns!
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I have been shooting at an indoor range at Bud's Gun Warehouse for about 1 1/2 years, mostly FP. Frequently all ten lanes are in use while I'm there. There are a lot of shooters who like to see how fast they can go through a box of ammo. Others bring hand-held howitzers and I can feel the shock wave 2 or 3 lanes away. And then there are the genuine idiots. It can be very distracting when clouds of dust from the sound absorbing tiles in the ceiling come raining down or when a laser dot is flashing along the walls a couple of feet in front of the bench. It was definitely a challenge at first, but I can honestly say you get used to it.

One thing is absolutely necessary - get really good ear plugs. Plugs are better than muffs. I bought a case of EAR Superfit 33 and I wholeheartedly recommend them:

http://tinyurl.com/czqa83h

When I was about through the case I bought, I got a pair of custom fitted plugs. The Superfits were better.

Once the sound is sufficiently attenuated, so is the flinch response. Unless someone is using a .357 Mag or .454 Casull revolver right next to you, it all becomes background.

Roger
golddredger

Post by golddredger »

JJJJJJ wrote:wear ear plug and muff might help
I second that. You have to double up! Foam plugs in the ears and a good set of ear muffs. I was at our indoor range last month and ended up with a guy shooting a .45 auto next to me. He was setting off my free pistol when he would shoot. It was very dangerous and crazy. I think it was due to me being the one at the end next to the wall. So I was getting the shock of his gun against the wall and it was load. So loud I had to stop early it was killing my ears. Just be sure to put the dry fire time in at home to a dot on the wall. Then when you go to the range your results will be better time spent.
paw080

Re: Practicing FP and AP at a range?

Post by paw080 »

Hi vHoff, You are right, it is the concussion that distracts the most. I use to be bothered

by range shooters blasting magnum handguns. But, then I started shooting in

air rifle Field Target matches and we were right next to the 25 meter handgun range.

Believe it or not, we all somehow learned to ignore the sensory input of the

random explosions! I don't know how this happens, but it happened to all of

us.

So now I compete in club Bullseye matches with all caliber classes running at

the same time on the same line and there is also the intense sporadic cacophony

of combat type handgun matches right next to our competition space, separated

only by an open wall. I wear Peltor muffs, no earplugs; so I just let the shock

waves roll through me with no effect. The more you allow things to be significant

in your mind, the more will they become obstacles. I learned this from coaching

world class distance runners. Best of luck;

Tony
john_almighty

Post by john_almighty »

golddredger wrote:
JJJJJJ wrote:wear ear plug and muff might help
I second that. You have to double up! Foam plugs in the ears and a good set of ear muffs. I was at our indoor range last month and ended up with a guy shooting a .45 auto next to me. He was setting off my free pistol when he would shoot. It was very dangerous and crazy. I think it was due to me being the one at the end next to the wall. So I was getting the shock of his gun against the wall and it was load. So loud I had to stop early it was killing my ears. Just be sure to put the dry fire time in at home to a dot on the wall. Then when you go to the range your results will be better time spent.
We back here in UK can only gasp with wonder what this world is that you talk about. No one out here is allowed even to send a puny .22 from a pistol forget sound waves.

On a side note, when I shoot in India, there is an open shooting range for rifles which I prefer for my Fp as I noticed, sound does not carry the same way as in an indoor range. Try that and see if it helps you.
23's Dad

I can deal with the muzzle blast and the shock wave

Post by 23's Dad »

It's the incessant chatter from the boob 2 lanes over who knows everything about anything, and has the audacity to insinuate that what we do is easy.

Once his chatter starts burning thru my concentration, it just gets hotter and darker inside my head.

That's when I start rushing shots and dropping points. Two weeks ago I actually turned to one arse and offered my piece. "If you think it's easy give it a try".

I was not going to finish my card anyway...
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

23's Dad:

You need to work on your concentration. I find that any stray though reduces the quality of my shooting. I have ADD and one of the reasons I shoot is the challenge of focusing on the moment. That focus is as much a part of shooting bullseye as trigger control.

Besides, the world is well populated with arses. As the Latins say: Illegitimi non carborundum.

Roger
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you've looked at videos of competition in Europe you'll notice how noisy it is.

They actually encourage rowdy cheering and other boisterous behavior to upset the competitors.

Get used to it now, before you're embarrassed at the next World Cup.
Coastwatcher

Post by Coastwatcher »

When I was coaching a Junior AP team I used to encourage loud cheering by the Parents just for that reason. We were finding that our Athletes were competing well below their practice averages and had to find ways to duplicate the pressure and distractions of major competitions.
coker

Post by coker »

I lost hope. you simply cannot practice olympic pistol on either indoor or outdoor public/open range. people will shoot 45 combat style at 3 yards or so, etc, etc.
on the open range, they will empy their AR 15 magazine as fast as they can, or their AK 46s, or hunters are sighting in their 7mm magnum rifles with muzzle brakes,, etc, etc..
ok,, they say distraction is good, and with a pair of ear plugs plus muff, you should be fine and work on your concentration,
but,
what I found most anoying is that people stare at you when they see you holding a 22 pistol (olympic or otherwise) off hand one hand and shooting at 50 yards,, they come and ask you,,, wow,,, that is pretty far for a 22 doesnt it? or,, when they see you with your shooting glasses with adjustable iris the wonder if those come from space,
but ther is more,,
I was shooting with my shooting glasses (Champion) and a range officer approached me asking me to wear actual safety googles ( which he was right) bcs my right eye behind that iris was actually very unprotected..
so the question is,, why bother, to go to the range..
if your apartment has a 16 feet wall to wall,,, then, practice your stance, trigger pull, concentration, scores, etc, etc on a 50% reduced target,,, basically,,, at that distance,, you should be able to put 10 shots in at about 10mm hole. and enjoy the little time at the actual regulated pistol matches.
if you go to the range (indoor or otherwise) take your 22, 45, 9mm or AR 15 if you have one, shoot a lot, and have fun... it is not worth the fight.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

coker,

Perhaps the better idea would be to use the range training time with the FP for fewer, but better shots. How about a goal for the session of ten good shots, rather than your usual number, but including time for explaining Olympic style shooting, and it's equipment, rules, level of difficulty, etc to those asking questions.

Use the distractions as training tools to "get back in the proper mindset to shoot ONE good shot". Kinda like finals training.

Nothing wrong with taking other pistols to shoot after "training", but looking at the "negatives" you've stated and using them a "positive" training tools might make the difference in keeping your head straight in the big matches.

WE successfully used extras loud noises, and other distractions, to get our top juniors ready for national championship matches.

Maybe I just always try to look on the positive side, but sometimes you either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh.
lastman

Post by lastman »

There's 2 sides to your problem

The 1st is a physical issue: The blast wave can knock you around and be distracting. You can deal with it 2 ways. Figure out a time when not too many other shooters will be on the range and schedule your training then. Or you can learn to deal with it. It's a distraction, something has interfered with your shot process, so abort and start again.

The second problem is mental. You recognise that your performance is lower when this is going on. You will naturally start shooting poorly, because you recognise that the distraction causes you to shoot poorly.

It all comes back to elements that you can control. Can you control the other shooters around you using larger calibre pistols? No. Accept that and move on, you'll find its remarkable how quickly the effects of any distraction disappear when you are thinking about what you are supposed to be doing rather than what's happening around you.

Good luck
Clintw

Post by Clintw »

We all have had similar fustration at ranges. Years ago I asked around and was lucky enough to have found several private ranges to shoot at that don't get regular shooters. Often, i'm the only one shooting which is good for practice but doesn't duplicate match pressure. I have found the routine of shooting to be helpful to help get me through match pressure though. You might inquire if there are any private ranges in your area. Don't expect them to be advertised heavily.

Several of our local ranges allow Range Officers or other volunteers to shoot when they want privately if they volunteer at the range. You might inquire if they need help in exchange for access to shoot privately. That will also give an opportunity to introduce and educate shooters more about other shooting sports.

Clint
Rover

Post by Rover »

I KNOW that the range officers are secretly laughing at these tactical wannabee hosing putzes.

Get one of them aside and tell them what you're trying to do. You may find them sympathetic and willing to help you get a more sheltered firing point.