Target printing program?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

GaryN

Target printing program?

Post by GaryN »

I use the old Pellant target program, but it has limitations, and it seems that Ian Pellant is "gone" so the program can't be improved.

The issues I have with the Pellant program are:
- no X-ring
- only 10 rings. Perfect for a 10 ring target but a target with an X-ring has 11 rings.
- ring numbering is fixed. In other words you cannot call the inner ring X, it is fixed to 10. And the same for the other rings. Either print the fixed number or do not print a number.

Does anyone know of a flexible target printing program that is currently available? I did a Google search and came up empty.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Try the Scatt web site:

http://www.scatt.com/downloads/14/downloads/

Download the Scatt Professional software. It should enable you to print a variety of targets scalable for non-standard distances.

Roger
waxman

Post by waxman »

This free download is great for customizing your own targets:
http://www.mcw-tech.com/TargetExpress/Default.asp

They have standard NRA, ISSF, LE, etc. targets, or you can design and mark up your own.

John
snipertactics11

Post by snipertactics11 »

check out an app called shooters log for iphone, the printing feature i hear is good
GaryN

Re: Target printing program?

Post by GaryN »

Well my Pellant program expired, and with Ian gone, there is no way to get software keys, so the program is effectively dead.
Anyone know of a way to crack the program to keep it running.

I checked out the suggested options:

SCATT will only print targets that have been defined. At least I did not see a way to enter my own targets.
I liked the option of distance scaling.
It is limited to SINGLE bull targets, which makes sense for the device. But not for practice targets, which for me are multi-bull targets.

TargetExpress ($15) inputs target ring specs in inches, not mm.
OK that would be a one-time effort to convert a target from mm to inches. Probably best done on a spreadsheet like Excel. But it would be much simpler to just enter it in mm. I have a message to them asking about input in mm.
If you shoot at reduced range, you have to compute the reduction manually, for EACH RING. If you did the initial entry into Excel, then you can add another column for the reduced range size.
ProdigalSon

Post by ProdigalSon »

I've made my own pretty successfully using Draftsight, a regular laser printer, and some midweight beige cardstock. Draftsight is a free AutoCAD clone that, while a little clunky to use, is pretty powerful once you get to know it. You could make literally any target you wanted, but you'd have to do it manually and know all of the necessary dimensions.

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/d ... -software/

I have 50-yd and 50ft reduced ISSF 50m targets set up currently for letter-size paper, and I've been intending to do a 10m air pistol as well but have just been too lazy. Obviously not match-approved, but they work fine for practice and I'm happy to share.
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

I use Visio to draft my targets and print on laser printer. . I'm sure there's a open source equivalent of Visio but any 2D drafting program will work
dronning

Post by dronning »

GaryN wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:00 pm
I checked out the suggested options:

SCATT will only print targets that have been defined. At least I did not see a way to enter my own targets.
I liked the option of distance scaling.
It is limited to SINGLE bull targets, which makes sense for the device. But not for practice targets, which for me are multi-bull targets.
True but using the SCATT software I made 6 bull targets by printing the "distance corrected" SCATT generated target to a PDF file then edit and copy/paste the bull 6 times on another document using free "paint" software. Once you have done one it's simple to print off as many copies as you need. I created a library of targets this way.

SCATT target files: There are additional files that include all the NRA targets and others for both rifle and pistol.
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

I use MS Word. Maybe not as exact as other methods, but works great for me (practice).

marky-d