Short Barrel vs Muzzel Velocity in regards to Accuracy

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

sureshot007

Short Barrel vs Muzzel Velocity in regards to Accuracy

Post by sureshot007 »

I have a Winchester 52B that I've been shooting for the past 15+ years. When I started shooting it, I noticed that it liked Federal Gold Medal ammo better than any level of Eley. I didn't think much of it at the time, and just kept shooting Federal. Well an interesting thing happened to me this weekend - I got my hands on some Tenex EPS for free to shoot at an outdoor 3P match. Right off the bat, I noticed that I was having a hard time keeping the groups tight. For the very last target, I decided to shoot a box of Federal 922b, and instantly the groups tightened up.

So, the question I have, since I have a shot barrel (16.5"), does it like the Federal because it has a faster velocity? Is there any data or other anecdotal evidence to support my hypothesis?
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

It's going to be specific to your barrel.

My full length Anschutz loved hot Fiocchi pistol rounds. My short barrel Anschutz loved slower Tenex EPS. Oddly enough, I found my short barrel rifle to be less picky over ammo.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Just because it is Eley does not guarantee it will perform in your specific rifle. Velocity can be an issue here, but it would not be my first suspect.

Ken