electronic trigger

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hansi

electronic trigger

Post by hansi »

Has anyone ever used an electronic trigger, if so do you find any major differences in feel or any other issues better or worse over mechanical ones.Thank you
Rover

Post by Rover »

I used one in a FWB Model 90 air pistol. It was great! Since there is no linkage or travel, it is incredibly smooth.

I have never fired such high scores, even using more "modern" guns with mechanical triggers.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I used another FWB electronic trigger (1980s KK SuperMatch), it was very smooth, very well balanced between the two stages, and with no creep. The disadvantages were thast it took a a few seconds for the capacitor to recharge, which slowed down the rate of fire. The owner wasn't able to shoot in club time-limit competitions (10 in 60 second, and the 90 second Skirmisher) because of the trigger delay.

The batteries did on occasion run out.
yana

Post by yana »

I dont see any advantages, ór disadvantages myself for shooting E triggers.
I have 1 on my Morini 162, but my Steyr, Aeron, and Tau's all have M triggers. They are just a good, just as light, etc. Scores arent higher with E trigger either.

Only 'issues' with E trigger: sometimes double clicks after the shot, which is annoying, and if you forget to turn it off, it'll be empty!
Some brands with E triggers, like Pardine, seem to be difficult to work on; our dutch importer doesnt work on those E triggers; they all go back to the factory.
And, with morini for instance, on E version, the grips arent adjustable for degrees!
hansi

Post by hansi »

Thanks for the replies.I have never shot one so its intresting to hear these responses.Am considering the new Steyr air rifle and would think or rather hope that any of the downsides mentioned would be adressed.From what i understand the trigger is based on the LP10E.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

As this is the rifle forum I presume you are talking about rifles? I've got and use one on a pistol and they are a distinct improvement, any one who can't notice it needs to improve their technique! Its not a coincidence the top AP shooters use them.
The advantage is in the release of the break, where on a mechanical there is a reduction of weight as the sear comes off which can result in an accelerated pull through, the more trigger weight the more noticeable it is and if you have the feel and if you're a good level you should notice it. Good technique and back stop set up reduces it.
On an electronic the weight stays constant through the pull, so there should not be the need for a back stop on an electronic trigger. That is with a 500 gm trigger.
Now on an air rifle or .22rf the trigger weight is 50 gms so the release of weight is a reduction from that not 500 so is near enough not discernable and good technique does not advise a back stop, so "probably" there is little or no advantage in an electronic match rifle trigger and its another complication. I think our new Walther rifle triggers are superb, but if some one made an electronic match trigger I'd like to try it, but I suspect it would not be the advantage that it is with a heavier pistol trigger.
Good shooting
Robin
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

RobinC wrote:As this is the rifle forum I presume you are talking about rifles? I've got and use one on a pistol and they are a distinct improvement, any one who can't notice it needs to improve their technique! Its not a coincidence the top AP shooters use them.<snip>
Good shooting
Robin
Robin,
I'm going to disagree - it's certainly a difference (on the pistols I've tried) but it isn't an improvement neccessarily, and also a lot of top shooters don't use them. Steyr is probably still top dog for AP but a lot of shooters still use the manual over the electronic. If you have a smooth clean trigger pull then any weight change in sear movement is not discernable. I have a pardini 22 and I actually dislike that electronic trigger - I have the 32 as well which is manual and is a much nicer feel. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud, but that electronic trigger feels like pushing a microswitch (oh and before you ask, those two guns aren't in the UK).

Rob.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I have owned all the top match rifles with mechanical triggers. I also owned a Daystate Airwolf, and a Daystate MK4. I guess there is no clear cut winner, but I am really impressed with the electronic trigger. In the summer I shoot silhouette and the Daystate is much better than a customized Steyr lg110. The lock time is faster, and I can notice it. For 10 meter I am super pleased with the triggers on my Anschutz 9003 and my Walther lg 400. Both have better triggers than the Anschutz 54 s like the 1913. The Daystate trigger is better than the 1913 also in my opinion. Like I said, they are all excellent, so it may just be personal choice.