Question for those using tuners...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

KennyB

Question for those using tuners...

Post by KennyB »

I'm considering getting a tuner tube of some sort - my question is whether people who use them either:

a) set them and leave them alone?

b) use different settings for different distances (e.g. 25, 50 & 100)?

c) use some other method?

Thanks,

Ken.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Set for different lots of ammo. Usually the setting is different. Find a good lot and buy a bunch of it. You can waist a lot of ammo tuning all the time so buy enough that it justifies leaving it there for a while.

Leave set for different distances. I've tested tuning at 50 and 100yds and get the same result.

Personally I test and tune with my match ammo and have a different setting for my SK standard plus practice ammo.

tenring
Cumbrian

Re: Question for those using tuners...

Post by Cumbrian »

KennyB wrote:I'm considering getting a tuner tube of some sort - my question is whether people who use them either:

a) set them and leave them alone?

b) use different settings for different distances (e.g. 25, 50 & 100)?

c) use some other method?

Thanks,

Ken.
There's an interesting test, with graph, of the Centra Starik tuner, dated February 2012, which suggests that results can or do vary according to distance. It's in a PDF file on www.disabledshooting.org.uk.
gstarik

Tube setting

Post by gstarik »

Hi Kenny,
When you tune your rifle for positive compensation,the "sweet spot" stays the same for every lot of ammo in order to compensate for variance in velocities.however,you might need different setting for different distance.
You can read more about it at sport-shooting.com and varmintal.com
Guy.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Thanks for the response Guy - I was disappointed not to be able to see you shoot on Monday/Tuesday...

I've read and (hopefully) understood what Geoff and Varmint Al have written about positive compensation.
We've given it a quick try here with different velocities of ammo and chronographing each shot to be sure. The groups are certainly flatter. We were testing at 75 yards as a compromise between 50m and 100yds.

Regards,
Ken.
Albert T

but what if

Post by Albert T »

Guy,
But what if the velocity is quit different? Do you need to adjest te tuner then?
I talked to Berry Kooiman (Dutch smallbore team) last weekend. He also uses your tuner and told met that the setting only needs to be adjusted in 'larger'steps and that the fine regulation is often not neccesary.
Can you tell us more ?

Albert T (The Netherlands)
gstarik

Post by gstarik »

Albert,
When you find the "sweet spot" it should be good for variation of speed of about 30fps. I have tested together with Jeoff Kolbe the effect of moving the weight of the tuner. our conclusion,based on Jeoff device was that you need the big steps in order to make a change in barrel vibrationes. Maybe with thin barrels,smaller movement of the tuner weight will make the difference.
If you want to tune for 1060fps lot, than 1045fps and 1075fps bullets should hit at the same height on 50m target.
Lately I have found that I am getting better groups if I clamp my tuner more towards the muzzle. I think that it effects the chock of the muzzle resulting in tighter groups. Try it yourself,and tell me about your results.
Guy.