looking for a scope

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pmelchman

looking for a scope

Post by pmelchman »

can anyone recommend a decent scope for the "any" sight matches that won't break the bank? 50 and 100 yard.
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

I use a Weaver V24 for any sight matches (set at 24X). The lens quality is good and adjustments are repeatable. The selling point for me is the "varminter" reticle - essentially a fine duplex with a 1/8" dot in the center. Works well with my 50-plus year old eyes!

Champions Shooter offers it at a reasonable price : http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 281&page=1

Mike
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Hello,

I'm going thru the same thing. I've got several scopes and so far nothing is just perfect for me. Usable but not perfect yet. What I'm using right now is a BSA 6-24X with fine crosshair & 1/8 dot. I got it at Natchezz for $59.
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?c ... le%20Matte

This is the same scope Champ Choice sells for more than twice that so I thought it may be ok even though it's cheap. Did a test with several scopes the other day at 50' out to 100yd. Depending if you'll ever shoot indoor, you'll need a scope that will focus down to 50'. Not all of them will do that. My high powered Leupold won't. You need the $800 EFR series. I also looked at the side focus and didn't see any affordable ones that focus down to 50'.

The BSA was actually brighter at 100 yd than most of the others I tested. Their definition of fine crosshair leaves alot to interpretation. It's not that fine compared to my Weavers & Leupolds & Unertl. The 1/8 min dot is slightly larger than the crosshair. I need a scope that I can use during the week at 50' then adjust both focus & w&e to 100yd on weekends. Don't know how that will hold up but for $59+shipping it was worth it. Also I got the Anschutz 6911 mount from Champion Shooters that allows mounting the scope forward for prone. They say it returns to zero if removed to put on metal sights. I also used the Warne 11mm groove med rings from Brownells that sit lower than some others. I like the scope to be as low as possible.
Last edited by matchguy on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Mikey_P wrote:I use a Weaver V24 for any sight matches (set at 24X). The lens quality is good and adjustments are repeatable. The selling point for me is the "varminter" reticle - essentially a fine duplex with a 1/8" dot in the center. Works well with my 50-plus year old eyes!

Champions Shooter offers it at a reasonable price : http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 281&page=1

Mike
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have to ask. Been looking at this scope and Weaver tells me it focuses down to 50'. Their T24 series has Micro-track adjustment I believe is a durable w&e adjustment system. The V24 doesn't. Do you know if adjusting the V24 scope's w&e on a regular basis will wear it out or cause it to track inaccuratly? Don't know if it's meant to adjust all the time.

Also, how fine are the crosshairs on that varmint reticle? Are they fine like their T series scopes? Does the larger duplex part of the crosshair get in the way of the bullseye on the 100yd target and cover part of it up?

Thanks
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I use the Weaver T-36 with a 1/8th dot. Most shooters in my club use the same scope with a custom dot.
Matt
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

matchguy wrote:
Mikey_P wrote:I use a Weaver V24 for any sight matches (set at 24X). The lens quality is good and adjustments are repeatable. The selling point for me is the "varminter" reticle - essentially a fine duplex with a 1/8" dot in the center. Works well with my 50-plus year old eyes!

Mike
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have to ask. Been looking at this scope and Weaver tells me it focuses down to 50'. Their T24 series has Micro-track adjustment I believe is a durable w&e adjustment system. The V24 doesn't. Do you know if adjusting the V24 scope's w&e on a regular basis will wear it out or cause it to track inaccuratly? Don't know if it's meant to adjust all the time.

Also, how fine are the crosshairs on that varmint reticle? Are they fine like their T series scopes? Does the larger duplex part of the crosshair get in the way of the bullseye on the 100yd target and cover part of it up?

Thanks
Matchguy (& pmelchman) :

To answer your questions on the Weaver V24:
a) yes, it does focus down below 50'
b) can't speak for the long term durability of the erector system for w&e adjustment - I've been using the scope for 3 seasons - 50 ft, 75 ft, 50 yd, and 100 yd. W&E adjustments still are accurate. The scope has also been subjected to about 200 rounds of .308 Win, FWIW.
c) the varminter reticle - I would call it a fine duplex with a center dot. At full mag (24X) and 100 yds, the dot is 1/8". The fine crosshairs, which extend out at least through the 8-ring of the 100 yd smallbore bull, are approx. 1/16" (or maybe .060"?). The heavier outer crosshairs are approx. 1/4" thick. With my eyes (floaters & cataracts) the heavier outer portion of the crosshair allows me to pick up the reticle/dot a bit easier when first acquiring the sight picture. Your experience may vary.
d) the one knock against the scope is that there is no available sunshade from the factory - you'll have to make up your own if you're inclined to use one.
e) I'd seriously consider the T24 over the V24, if seeing the fine crosshairs is not a problem for you.

Hope this helps.

Mike