Site Recommendations?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

OldBullShooter

Site Recommendations?

Post by OldBullShooter »

hello...
I've returned to shooting this year, but as a senior. I bought a good scope that I use in "any" site matches. The rifle (Anschutz 1813) came with Hammerli sites. In a USA Shooting event this w/e, I got to use them (for the first time! Talk about being prepared! Nothing like putting them on and siting them in an official match...) and found that I could not get the MOA precision I needed.

With that said, any recommendations on a new set of sites for this rifle? I do intend to shoot competitively, but at the same time trying to be cost conscious.

Looking forward to any recommendations.

Cheers!
NikNak

Post by NikNak »

My scores really vary between scope & iron sights. You may just need to spend your $s on ammo and range time .... I wish I had the time.

Buy "Ways of the Rifle" book and that should keep you from having to buy new sites anytime soon.

Good Luck & Welcome back!
OldBullShooter

Post by OldBullShooter »

Thanks for the response.

I shoot 2 / week and have done so for the past 3 months. Prior to my hiatus, I shot competitively for 6 years or so. The ammo I shoot matches with is Lapua Center X or Midas. So, I feel like I've got basics covered and need finesse on the MOA adjustments.

Cheers...
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

From memory the Hammerli has 10 click turrets, i.e 1/6 Minute clicks. This isn't coarse by any means, it's the same as the 6702 International that was standard with your 1813, but if you want finer there are plenty of sights that have 12 Minute clicks/20 click turrets. The Anschutz 7002 Universal, the Centra 10/50 spring to mind.

BTW site = location or place, as in website. Sight is the word to describe the thing you aim a rifle with.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Assuming the Hammerli sight you refer to is the model 460 on a stock length barrel (no bloop tube) the distance per click is right at 2mm per click at 50 meters. (Just shy of 3 clicks per bullet diameter)

Need finer that that.. As mentioned Anschutz and Centra can both help you out with that. Sharpen your credit card.

Good Luck,
'Dude
OldBullShooter

Post by OldBullShooter »

Thanks Tim and Dude. Some more research to do on those two sights.

Appreciate it.
corning

Post by corning »

Heck, scope to irons, on average, costs me more than 20 points.

One additional thought: you may want to consider a lens of some sorts to help you see the target. I have found it indispensable for shooting 50 yards and beyond with the irons.

Right now, I view my decline in physical conditioning my biggest problem when I shoot, but that is a different topic.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I like the 7002 sight. I use it on my 2013 and my FWB 700. With my 2013 I have a 12 inch tube on it, and it gives me about 1/13 or 1/14moa adjustments. It is also cant adjustable, and since I shoot with a cant I like this function.
Matt
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I agree with Matt, the 7002 rearsight is pretty consistent and reliable.

The Hammerli rearsight also has a very good reputation over here, so I'm surprised that they're not working for you... Maybe they need a service - or getting used to.

Is it like this one?

Regards,
Ken.