Pistol Shooting glasses vs glasses for shooting?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Pistol Shooting glasses vs glasses for shooting?

Post by toddinjax »

Hi all,

I'm an amateur 10m pistol shooter/student. At 50 years old I have 20/20 vision with my rather heavy prescription progressive bifocals. My glasses are really more of a trifocal lens. Lets just say I've figured out that a single vision lens would be better for sighting a pistol lol. Having read here several posts on shooting glasses, it seems common that getting the frame, lens and set up just right can be a costly and often multi step process. I enjoy shooting very much but I have no asperations to compete. I just want to improve myself, and enjoy the meditative side effect of not thinking about anything else in the world but that front sight. So I won't be buying "shooting glasses" or going through that trial and error learning curve. Would I benefit by simply having my eye MD "tweak" my prescription to focus at the front sights length, and put that single vision lens into a pair of "John Lennon" frames?
Sorry for such a long question, thanks for any replies.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

For many folks a good starting point is your distant vision prescription plus 0.5 diopters. That will generally make it easy to focus on the front sight and see the target as well as you need to see it.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Works for me!
NikNak

Post by NikNak »

Per Dr Wong, try using one or two older prescription glasses .. It works great for me, but be careful. With the front sight really sharp, it shows your wobble. :
)
fc60

Prescription Glasses

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I measured the distance from the end of my nose to the front sight. With this data, I went to the Optician and he attached a Snellen chart to a yard stick set at that value. Spinning the lenses we came up with a clear image.

When you have the lenses cut, stand erect and assume a shooting stance. Next, have the Optician mark the position of your pupil on the old lenses of your glasses. They will have the lab move the optical center of the lens to be in alignment of your eye.
I shoot with both eyes open and have both lenses cut to focus on the front sight.

I also took a copy of Doctor Norman Wong's paper written for Opticians. My Doctor found it most helpful.

Cheers,

Dave