Most Usable standard pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
K38

Most Usable standard pistol

Post by K38 »

I would like to get a new standard pistol. I have a Pardini SP that is set up for bullseye with a red dot and an IZH 35 with Morini grips. What is the best choice? FWB, Walther (I always wanted one), Does the Morini work? It is all your opinion, but that's what I'm after.

Best,

Dwight
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

a) Use search function
b) read
c) make shortlist
d) use search function
e) read more
f) if there are specific questions about specific guns left, use forum, but

there probably won't, because the topic has been covered in some way literally for dozens of times, and every conceivable comparison made...
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

I have a Walther SSP and really like it. Very reliable and eats every ammo that I have given it. Great sights except they have to be adjusted with an allen wrench instead of a regular screw driver or better yet finger adjustable like my LP-10. It is very adjustable in every aspect:sights, trigger, grips,weight. If you do get one get the extra weights for it if you like a heavier gun because it is very light.

Being left handed I don't get to try many different guns from fellow shooters or if I do it's not a fair test so I don't know if I would like something else better but I do like the SSP. Scott
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hiya,

Another option is that since you already have the pardini, you could make some mods and use it for both NRA bullseye and standard pistol as I did on an early SPE I had.

1) take your existing barrel to a gunsmith and have a weaver type rail attached to the shroud. Somewhat like the Larry's guns bullseye rail for the latest series of Pardinis. Your gunsmith may need to make a slight relief cut on the bottom of the rail to clear the top of the receiver without touching it. Mount the red dot to that, since it's all one assembly with the barrel it stays sighted in. This is your NRA setup, the rear sight stays in place and is unused.

2) Get a new barrel assembly to use for standard pistol with iron sights. Since your rear sight is unused for the NRA setup, it remains sighted in.

By simply swapping between the 2 barrels you can use the same gun for both. So you don't run into trigger issues in SP, you would need to set it to 1000g instead of 2lbs. The cost savinge of this over buying yet another pistol with mags and spare parts will more than pay for a case of match grade or 2 to 3 cases of practice ammo. You will also have the advantage of one grip, one trigger over using 2 different pistols.

My 2 cents,

Tom
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Of the following guns that I have I prefer the Pardini SP with the Walther GSP a close second. (also Hammerli 208, Hammerli 280, Unique DES69, Britarms 2000, Ruger Mark II/III, High Standard (all versions)). I have not tried the Feinwerbau or Morini.
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

You cant go wrong with a HAMMERLI 208..........this woud be my first pick.

A great pistol with world class craftsmanship, superb fit and finish and world record setting accuracy.

DAO
NikNak

S&W 41 with barrel swap

Post by NikNak »

I shoot a S&W Mod 41 with 5" Optic barrel for NRA & 5.5" with Iron Sites for SP ... sometimes. Last month I used my Benelli 95 for SP. Depends on the dry fire feeling the night before...
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Unless they have eliminated it in the newer Pardinis---the shroud on the Pardini has two fine cuts to which I fastened scope rings which held for years without compromising the sights......"Doc"