Smallbore Advise

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

sakoarms

Smallbore Advise

Post by sakoarms »

I am looking to purchase a new smallbore for my son. He is shoots 3P and needs a new rifle. He has been shooting a Diana 820 freerifle, but needs some adjustments the rifle he currently has is not capable of doing. I would like to get a metal stock, but that is about all I have decided. I don't shoot, so I would like input and which models I should be looking at. I have about $3500 or so to spend. Thanks in advance for any advise
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I guess a safe choice would be a 1907 in a precise stock. A KK300 Walther is heavier, and it is easier to add weight a lighter rifle like the 1907.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-__NEW__ ... -3663.aspx

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-WALTHER ... -2717.aspx
ZD

Smallbore recommendation

Post by ZD »

I would recommend the 1907 in the precise stock, as recommended in the above post. I currently shoot one, and have had it for a year now. The rifle can adjust every way you can imagine, however the grip does not slide back and forth, just left and right and rotates, which is the only thing I did not like about the rifle. The cheekpiece adjustment is fantastic, and has two plains of vertical adjustment, course and fine, it finely adjusts by clicks with a knob at the side, as well as the ability to click it left and right. However, there is one important element that sets this rifle apart in my opinion, and that is the balance. It is the first Anschutz rifle I have picked up out of the box that is balanced. It is not front heavy or back heavy, but center heavy. This is probably due to the fact that there is very little material in the stock along the rail and under the barrel, but more in the back.

I would not recommend the 1913 unless your son is large enough and strong enough. I am 5-7 and 140 pounds, and in shape. Yet I do not like supermatch actions (any Anschutz action designated with a "13" at the end, as opposed to the lighter barrel, designated by a "7"). Figure at least an additional pound (maybe more, but I am not sure) if you get a 1913, plus another 200 dollars. I have shot heavier rifles, and while they may help a little in prone, you will lose many points in standing if it is a struggle to pick up the rifle. Or you may hurt your back. Or both. My standing set up with my older Anschutz metal palmrest (I do not use the black block that came with it) makes my rifle weight 12.5 pounds (the palmrest adds a pound to my rifle). In regards to other factors, just like any other Anschutz, the trigger is great and the rifle is accurate. Can't go wrong with an Anschutz. I have no experience with Walther or Feinwerkbau smallbore rifles.

And as always, you can easily add weight.
sakoarms

Post by sakoarms »

My boy is 6'2" and about 150 lbs. The rifle he has been shooting is in the 12.5 lbs range. I appreciate the links and the info. I will take a look at them. I thought that the 1907 was a 64 action, but I guess I was wrong. I will take a look at it. Thanks
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The 1907 is a Match 54 action with a 26in barrel. The 1913 is the exact same M54 acttion as the 1907, but with a thicker 27.2in barrel.

The 1903 is the lighter Match 64.
hansi

Post by hansi »

The Diana is a fine rifle indeed, have you considered getting just the alu stock,i have handled the k05 and it is very nicely built.Your Diana will fit in it with an adaptor,if your son wanted an anschütz in the future he could simply get another adaptor for the 54 series or the 20 series fits as is.This would save alot of money.Just another option for you.

http://www.keppeler-te.de/cms/pages/eng ... stocks.php
sakoarms

Post by sakoarms »

I have looked at the Keppeler stocks on-line. I have even emailed them, but they do not respond. I have not been able to locate a dealer here in the United States. I wish I knew for sure the email address I have is correct. I like that option though.
pzoba

Post by pzoba »

For me, I could not spend $2K on a stock and then take the stock off his gun and idle it or try to sell. To me, it's more beneficial to sell the current gun as a whole - more buyers - and then buy him a 1913 in a Precise stock or something like that. He sounds big enough to shoot the full size guns.

When you started the thread, you did not say your son was 6'2. When people say a gun for my son, I picture a 12 year old. That may temper your review of the earlier responses...
cnjcomp

Post by cnjcomp »

It sounds like a good choice, but try one first. Buying then trying can be a very expensive leason. My Son always stuck with an Anschutz in a walnut 1913U6 stock. He started out with a 1907 action in it and eventually changed to a 1913 action. Since I was in the business he could have most anything he wanted. We tried Aluminum and some composite stocks, but he just never liked the feel of anything else.

Happy Shooting