22 rimfire backstop? 177 10meter backstop?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

409impala1

22 rimfire backstop? 177 10meter backstop?

Post by 409impala1 »

what are you guys using for 22 backstops for targets? what about 177 pellets for 10 meter?
Steve N

CMP Plans for .177 backstop

Post by Steve N »

I got plans off the CMP website for a target stand that adjusts for prone, kneeling and standing target heights. The framework is 1 x 3 pine, and the backstop is a piece of 11 ga steel plate. Because the plate is shot at a 90 degree angle, the pellets flatten out to less than 1/16" thick. I have very few bounce-outs this way.

I also built a portable single height stand from 3/4" plywood, with an opening big enough for a standard target paper. I put a piece of 1/4" thick UHMW plastic in the back, angled down, about 30 degrees from vertical. Stops and flattens the pellets every time. I do have more bounce outs, so I put a towel in the bottom to absorb the energy of the pellet falling. Both of the above are excellent for use at 10M.

.22 cal? I'm interested to hear what others use. I'd like to shoot in my basement, if I can find the right backstop.
cmj

Post by cmj »

The Old Mill Range in Georgia has plans on their website for a smallbore 50 ft backstop that works great and doesn't take a whole lot of room use it in my shop for 22. can put 6 targets for 3X20 at same time.
GCSInc

Pellet Backstop / Target Holder

Post by GCSInc »

Let us know what You think of these.

Roy
(678) 772-8185 cell
EODTNT1@aol.com
www.OleMillRangeCTC.com
Attachments
Air Rifle Target.pdf
(102.68 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
The Ole Mill Range Target Holders 19 Aug 2010.pdf
(90.87 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Copy of IMG_1898.JPG
Copy of IMG_1898.JPG (27.74 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Copy of IMG_1892.JPG
Copy of IMG_1892.JPG (26.44 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Last edited by GCSInc on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
GCSInc

Smallbore

Post by GCSInc »

Thoughts?

Roy
Attachments
22 Bullet Trap.pdf
(94.77 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
22 CAL Materials List.pdf
(48.26 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Trap Beads.jpg
Trap Beads.jpg (18.82 KiB) Viewed 4297 times
wattsnot

Post by wattsnot »

Roy, I like the 22 trap a lot and plan on building one shortly. I will mostly be using it for a 22 pistol. I have a few questions. Where can I order 10 gallons of the beads? Can I use rubber landscaping mulch instead? Thanks for posting. I have been looking all winter for somthing like this to buy or make. Thanks
If you got time could you post a pic of it.
Thanks again,
Dennis
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

For pellets, I use a cardboard box stuffed with old rags. It does a great job, is very quiet, and is almost free.
justadude

Post by justadude »

For air rifle in my basement I use a 1.5" depth of electricians "duct seal" in the back of my trap. The "duct seal" does a pretty good job of swallowing the pellet.

As for 22 at home in the basement: When I was a kid my father set up a 22 range in the basement. This was with an older style cyclone trap where the slug ran up an angled plate into a cyclone chamber and then dropped out the bottom into a collection tray. It was great, Dad and I had lots of fun. When I was in my forties, before Mom could sell the house, due to the lead contamination, I paid for an OSHA style cleanup of the end of the basement where the trap had been.

Now, the Ole Mill Range trap plans are very interesting and have what appears to be a far less violent dissipation mechanism than the trap Dad and I used when I was young but knowing what I know now I restrict my basement to Air Gun only use and save the 22s for more specific use facilities.

Bottom line, if you have the space, I know it is tempting but I really recommend against a 22 range in the basement.

Just my 2 cents.

'Dude
GCSInc

Beads or Resin

Post by GCSInc »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bit-D1NnfjI (only about the first 10 seconds talks about and shows the Beads)

These are simply "Injection Mold Beads or Resin" the raw materials in all Injection Mold processes. These Beads or Resin come in every color you can imagine. We like "white" for kneeling rolls (no dust), but any color is fine for the .22 Bullet traps. I've tried the ground up rubber and find it too course. The ground rubber doesn't compact as tightly. I think part of the secret of this type of "trap" is the small size of the beads and that allows for tight compression of the Beads and therefore it stops the bullet as the Beads compact. Sort of like Kevlar is better at stopping bullets than knives or icepicks.

Our research shows that a .22 bullet (approx 40 grn) at less than 1100 fps will only penetrate about 1.25" to 1.50" into the beads in our traps. The bullet will "mushroom" about 30%, and over time, as you continue to shoot and "vibrate" the Beads, they work their way towards the bottom of the trap.

We've been told that the Beads cost about 50 cents per pound. That may be a bit dated, but I wouldn't think it's too far off. The Beads usually come in what's called a "Gaylord" Box which will weigh about 1000 - 1100 lbs full.

The best place to find the Beads is to contact all your "Injection Mold" factories in your area and ask for their "Floor Sweepings" or end-of-run left overs. When these companies change products, or colors, there's usually a little left over. It may be all you need and they would likely be happy to donate it especially if you give them a Tax Letter for their donation to your organization.

Or you can just buy some...

Roy
GCSInc

Beads

Post by GCSInc »

p.s. We have quite a "stockpile" of Beads. It will cost you more in shipping than it would be worth to just look locally. If you want to stop by The Ole Mill Range on a trip thru Georgia (say to Ft Benning) bring your own bucket... We'll work something out, especially if you feel obliged to make a donation to our Junior Shooting Sports Program.

Enjoy,

Roy
GCSInc

Resin, Beads or Plastic Pellets

Post by GCSInc »

http://www.protomold.com/DesignGuidelin ... ation.aspx
this is a list of many different types and colors.

Watch the short video at the bottom of the page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M98oFa49jA
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95Qy-0euds

More information (on Resin, Beads, Pellets) than you every wanted to know...
JamesH

Re: Smallbore

Post by JamesH »

GCSInc wrote:Thoughts?

Roy
Plastic beads are environmentally horrible, they get scattered, get into waterways, the sea, eaten by all sorts of animals and essentially never degrade.
GCSInc

Indoor Range

Post by GCSInc »

Did I mention that our Range is all "In Door" and we have total containment of our Beads and .22 bullets when they are stopped by the Beads. This method does not cause the bullet to break-up, or give off any lead dust as a steel backstop would. Are you Ok with that JamesH? I'm open to other, better ideas.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

If its indoor its fine, crumbed rubber can be a useful material and it does at least degrade.