Shooting Glasses correction

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

efoleyjr

Shooting Glasses correction

Post by efoleyjr »

What correction are people using in their shooting glasses. I have read in the past that most people use +0.25D, but have also read a -0.25D is the right number. Has anybody used a minus correction?
Ed
Martin Catley

Lense

Post by Martin Catley »

It very much depends on your eyesight if you are looking at such a small adjustment your eyes cannot be too bad! You are probably looking to just clear up the picture a little.
An eye test would help decide whether you need positive or negative or getting one of each and doing your own test in shooting conditions.
You are lucky to need so little as I use around plus 2.25 or so and continually struggle with it.

Good luck
efoleyjr

Re: Lense

Post by efoleyjr »

Martin Catley wrote:It very much depends on your eyesight if you are looking at such a small adjustment your eyes cannot be too bad! You are probably looking to just clear up the picture a little.
An eye test would help decide whether you need positive or negative or getting one of each and doing your own test in shooting conditions.
You are lucky to need so little as I use around plus 2.25 or so and continually struggle with it.

Good luck
Well my question assumed that your vision had been corrected to "normal vision" first and then what additional correction is needed to bring the rifle front sight into focus with out blurring the bull to much. As for my eyes, after not shooting for 25 + yrs. I only needed two eye operations and RGP contacts to get to the point that my shots would go on call. When I was younger I had great eyes but now even with the fixes it is still difficult, but it is now possible to shoot good scores.
Ed
Martin Catley

Lenses

Post by Martin Catley »

Hi Ed thought you might have been one of those lucky devils that only need a little to clear up the foresight.
Generally and I am no expert you need a little plus to clear up the foresight, but if you have a great front then you may need a little negative to help the aiming mark.Most seem to want a good foresight and put up with a not so clear aiming mark. It is a balancing act between front and back!
If you do not shoot ISSF have you thought of a .3 in the front as is quite popular these days.
Interesting that you are having success post operation I have thought along those lines too.
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

Martin,
I am using a .5 in the front now and have been doing fairly well while only using my contact with standard street correction. I have also used my glasses with a +.25D lens but like the clear bull without glasses better. I think that the clearer bull helps with fine tuning the aim as long as the front aperture is fairly well defined.
Ed
Gnr527

Post by Gnr527 »

Interesting one this Ed - hope this isn't putting your thread off on a tangent.

You know my problem from the other shooting glasses thread.

I have previously chased the 'perfect' sight picture as being absolutely sharp foresight , accepting a less than sharp bull in tradeoff.

My latest lens prescription gives me the slightest loss of definition of foresight for the benefit of a slightly sharper (by comparison with the foresight) bull.

Only limited use at present but the initial results seem better.

It would be helpful to hear others views.

John
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

John,
I think you are correct in thinking that a sharp bull are the cost of a slightly blurred front aperture may be better. That is what I am trying to do at this time. I am starting to get the feeling that I shoot better irons with my standard distance correction contact only than I do with a +0.25D lens in my shooting glasses. I think I see a sharper bull and that lets me do a better job of making very fine adjustments to the sight picture. I feel that I have less shots off call with a sharp bull than I do with a sharp sight.I am thinking I may go to the expence of getting a -0.12D contact made just to see if the bull would get sharper, my distance RX is 0.00D but fixes my astigmatism. Please keep us advised of your results.
Ed
GeraldC

Post by GeraldC »

Try the discussion on this site.
The poster has done a lot of research and experimentation
http://www.targetshooting.co.nz/ubbthre ... l#Post7678
Gnr527

Post by Gnr527 »

Thanks for that Gerald - very interesting article - well worth a read.
John