Ok, my hat's off. This game is hard!!!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
hammerheadarcher

Ok, my hat's off. This game is hard!!!

Post by hammerheadarcher »

Started shooting AP last week and holy crap this is hard. I shot bow for the last 3 years. I can shoot arrows at 18 meters into that pistol target and stay well inside the nine ring. When I shoot the pistol just 10 meters away I still throw a 7 a few times in 60. I came into this thinking that with the tiny pellet and that "big" black circle and so close, ha, no problem. Again, I tip my hat to you guys consistantly shootin the middle out of these things. Back down stairs to practice!
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

I remember when I first took up this sport and thought about the same thing. The first couple of practice matches I shot were some pretty low scores- nowhere near competitive. I continued practicing, and after a shooting was still shooting some pretty low scores. But then I realized two things: 1) if it was easy, there wouldn't be any point to doing it. While that seems cliche-ish, what I mean is there wouldn't be any feeling of satisfaction when those good shots do occasionally show up if any Tom, Dick, or Harry could shoot those same good shots the first time they picked up a gun.
2) and most importantly, I realized when I looked back through my notes that while I still felt like I was shooting pretty low scores, I had improved noticeably from when I had first started. I just hadn't realized it because a) it had occurred gradually over time, and b) my standards kept going up as my scores went up. When I looked back at my original scores and realized that, while my scores were pretty abysmal compared to most of the shooters out there, I was actually improving pretty well and could actually see the result of all my work.

So, my recommendation is to shoot a couple of practice matches and record the results in your notes so you can look back at them after a little time has gone by.

And, don't forget how absolutely fun all of this is!

Thanks,
Ted
hammerheadarcher

Post by hammerheadarcher »

Thanks Ted, great advice. I would get discouraged shooting arrows and missing the 9 ring. My buddy would say, "wait a minute, think about what you are doing, you are shooting a carbon shaft 70 meters outdoors in the breeze at a 6 inch circle and you are complaining about missing?". It helps to put things in perspective. I will keep plugging for sure.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

tedbell wrote:...and b) my standards kept going up as my scores went up...
Too true, and one of the kind of sad things about games like this -- each time I improve, I'm just doing what I'm capable of doing, so there's no big sense of accomplishment in it. What would have been amazing when I started is now just what I can do now. Hehehe.

And you're right -- I'm never satisfied. I can enjoy a good score and setting a new PB in some form or other, but my expectations just keep going up.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

That's what the 600 is there for; keeps us all from vetting swelled heads, keeps us dissatisfied with our performance no matter what the shooter's accomplishments.
kirtar

Post by kirtar »

Now I just need to get my air scores more in line with my standard scores (469 standard, 392 air). Just wondering, where does NRA International Pistol actually belong on these forums? I assume here because of the rule set and course of fire, but I do indoor at 50 feet (still 10 m for air of course).
trevorw

Post by trevorw »

Same reason I shoot one handed open sights at my club when everyone else shoots 2 handed and/or with red dots.

I like the challenge of improving when it's difficult.

Even shooting 1 handed I've been rated A grade in Field Pistol while my other disciplines I'm rated C grade and still sometimes shoot better than those shooting 2 handed.

I'm aware that I'm probably impairing my chances at club level but I like the challenge