Morini CM162E - No compensator vs compensator

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JiriK

Morini CM162E - No compensator vs compensator

Post by JiriK »

I have a Morini CM162E air pistol that I bought new back in 1993.
Pistol saw plenty of use between 1993 and 2003 but then I took a bit of a brake from shooting hobby.

Now my plan is to resume shooting hobby - at least for the winter as it is too cold and dark here for my new outdoors hobby (flying radio controlled helicopters :D )

Much has changed during these years. Seems all modern air pistols have compensators. My Morini does not have one, but it is available as replacement part.

Only pistol with compensator that I have ever shot with was a Walther OSP (.22 short)
So my question is: What advantage would adding compensator to this pistol give?
Better accuracy? Looking at the test firing card that came with this pistol, this pistol is plenty accurate already.
Less recoil?
Or is it just for the looks..
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

I have an older morini 162e (fixed cylider) with both sight holders (old one-no holes and the newer one-compensator). With both sight holders you will have muzzle flip but it is not so great. They mostly affect the feel of the shot. I also have an lp10 but use the 162e with the old sight holder because i can call my shots more accurately. My advice start training with your gun and then at some point start thinking about the compansated sight holder
David M

Post by David M »

Ah.. another shooter that uses model helicopters.... (for concentration and mental stimulation training only, never for fun).
Do a search on compensators, it has been well discussed.
Basically Air pistols do not produce enough gas to really make them work, if your pistol has one don't change it just use it, if it does not have one don't worry, just shoot.
Worry about it when you shoot 570-580.
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

I´v already shot maybe 30-40k without a compensator so some more won´t hurt :D

My record back then was 569 (1997, under 20yo series)
Now I´ll be happy if I can keep majority of hits in the black dot.
Not quite sure but I think it was 2004 when I last shot with airpistol.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I had a gun with a removable Nygord Turbo-Comp muzzle brake, so I shot it both ways for a long time.

Save your money.

BTW Maybe you saw my posts on 70 year old Steve Reiter severely kicking ass. Don't despair!
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

approx. 100 shots fired today.. I think I´ll buy something else with the money I planned to use for buying a compensator.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Wise choice. I recommend more pellets & targets.
FredB

CO2 or CA

Post by FredB »

I have extensively shot 2 CO2 pistols both with and without compensators, and IMHO there was a huge difference. Both a Steyr LP-1 with the Steyr comp shroud and a Pardini K60 with the Nygord Turbocomp were dead-steady on firing compared to their performances without the comps. I wouldn't shoot any CO2 10M pistol without a decent comp.

Compressed air guns seem to be a different story though. I had a Morini 162E and tried several different comp designs on it, with little or no effect. Among others, the Turbocomp just didn't seem very effective taming muzzle jump. I suspect it may have to do with gas volumes being different in CA v. CO2 systems.

So I agree the OP should not worry about getting a comp for his 162E, but feel readers should not extrapolate that all comps are worthless.

FredB
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Also, the the Morini 162E does not have barrel ports which is the main reason why the compensator will not work...
yana

Post by yana »

My Tau 7's all have compensators. Why? Cause they're more accurate with 1. Barrel harmonics probably.
Never tried them without, my morini 162 either. Its fitted with a compensator.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The guns I have tested have been about equally accurate, or not enough different to matter to a pistol shooter. All were one small hole with any decent pellet.

The guy who runs this site says it just doesn't matter, so I use the cheap ones; they are really excellent. See my tests.
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

I think I have plenty of pellets for now.. Opened the gun closet and browsed some. ~900 individually packed Lapua air pistol pellets, Some RWS individually packed ones and couple full 500pcs tins of pellets.

Shooting was so much fun after long pause that now I´m thinking about getting a free pistol for the summer.
Local gun shop has slightly used Steyr Match FP w. 2 grips. Price not too bad. Other shop has really cheap Pardini PGP75. Is either of those any good by today´s standards?
Not interested in buying a 1500€ new Morini or Matchguns right now.
I haven´t seen any new or even used Toz-35´s for sale here.

Alltough.. I Asked police station about gun permits. Process has gone difficult since last time I applied for gun permit... getting a FP is definately maybe now :)
Rover

Post by Rover »

I used to shoot in the 540s with a GP75. The are typically Pardini in construction and rather ugly. They work and shoot nicely, though. I sold it to buy a Hammerli that I never could shoot as well.
backpack

Post by backpack »

JiriK wrote: I haven´t seen any new or even used Toz-35´s for sale here.
You could monitor http://egun.de There are TOZ-35 for sale there quite often.
On one hand, it is private sales - no warranty, all sales are final, etc., etc.
On other hand, you can just drive to the seller's place on the weekend, try the pistol in person then buy it.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I have no idea how much misery is involved with getting a gun from the US, but the TOZ shows up on gunbroker.com with some frequency. In fact, there is a TOZ-35 on there right now:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =266965131

Good luck -

Roger
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

Thanks for those tips guys. But I have a feeling it would be a pita to buy a gun from other country and get it here.
Finnish postal service just announced that from now on they won´t deliver packages containing anything that even resembles a handgun. So no pistols, air pistols or even airsoft pistols or gaming console "light guns" can be shipped with Posti. Great..

How´s that Steyr? I found this: http://www.issf-sports.org/getfile.aspx ... 0Part2.pdf

What king or scores have people shot with this model?