Coaching in the UK

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
markwarren

Coaching in the UK

Post by markwarren »

Hi all,

While I know this is mainly a USA based site I have seen a few guys on here from good old blighty.

My question to them is where can I get an accredited coach to look at my grip and stance etc.? I started shooting in May and have managed without any formal coaching to get my average up to around 545.

I am assuming that gaining a higher average will now require some proper coaching but I can't seem to find anywhere on-line. I am based in Crewe, Cheshire so somehwere close would be ideal.

Any advice gratefully received.

Any other coaching suggestions will also be gratefully received and tried.

Cheers

Mark
Stery LP10
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I see that you are talking about grip work as well as shooting technique.

I know that you are in Crewe but I would recommend that you make an appointment with Tom Redhead, National Pistol Coach, at Bisley.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

If you're shooting 545's, chances are that there's not much to gain from a Physical standpoint. Never hurts to check, but don't expect to have any major changes (or major score gain). An experienced shooter could even help you out, so don't think you're limited to a coach. You're at a point where it's the mind that's holding you back. Shooting is a very mental sport, though it's often the least trained area. Actually, it's nearly never discussed even here despite being the largest area of improvement for all nearly all shooters.

Thankfully, that's something you can improve on your own. It comes from reading and researching. It's also the area where a coach can help you make the most gains, and don't think that it has to be a Pistol coach since mental is pretty much the same across all the shooting sports.

And that's an impressive average for a short period of time.
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

I am taking my son down to Bisley in January for Scout National Squad Training. The same weekend is also holding a British Pistol Club open competition so I am entering that (will be my first shoulder to shoulder comp!).

I will try and see if I can get an appointment then and that would complete the weekend.

Cheers

Mark
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

One of the things I would like to find out is that I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I do use a blinder on my left eye. My natural point of aim also sets the pistol so that the barrel is not in line with my arm (my feet end up being at roughly at 45 degree. I want to find out if I should go away from my NPA and get the barrel in line with my arm which would change my stance.

I totally agree with you about it being a mental sport. It is so easy to wander off, lose the sight picture, forget the squeeze and pull shots left and push them right. I also do some 20 yard air pistol and this really punishes you.

One thing I have really found that makes a difference is being hydrated. I know when I am dehydrated as I have significantly more wobble.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and I have now set my next target of getting to an average of 555 in the next 6 months.

All the best

Mark
yana

Post by yana »

You could try asking on the airgunbbs, THE largest uk airgunforum.
Or check the BASC site etc.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

yana wrote:You could try asking on the airgunbbs, THE largest uk airgunforum.
Or check the BASC site etc.
For ISSF style shooting in the UK the Stirton Forum would be much more appropriate.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Tom Redhead is definately the person for advice and adjustment of grips. Whilst most of the pistol coaches are based in the southern half of the country, you could try contacting the National Indoor Shooting Centre at Aldersley as they have some good pistol coaches that operate from there. The contact there is Tony Taylor, I am sure he will be able to put you in touch with the coaches.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Hi Mark

West Mids regional pistol squad are based at Aldersley - come along if you want:-)

Lee
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies.

Yana - I am a member of AirgunBBS, a great BBS, but it definitely leans towards FT and HFT. There is a forum for target shooting but what I really need is face to face coaching/advice.

David - I use Stirton quite regularly. In fact that's where I found out about the British Pistol Club Open in January which will be my first shoulder to shoulder comp (if I don't get down to Aldersley on the 18th December)

John - Do you have any contact details for Tom - if you do ,could you PM them please? I have searched on-line but can't find any!

Lee - I'm still hoping to get down for the comp. on the 18th but I am still waiting to hear about a possible work commitment. Would I be OK to enter on the day if necesary (and my son Tom as well)?
Russ

Post by Russ »

Dear Mark,

You are doing the absolutely right thing. Unfortunately, it is not common on this forum to look for professional help.

Yes, this sport has a high psychological value. Unfortunately, Not too many people are able to recognize this psychological game. If we take a look at score performance, many athletes wasted years of bouncing around the score: 540-550. They are not even able to see the other way around to get to 565-570 and really work on the psychological concept of this game.

No one can keep two thoughts in their head during one single moment. The question is, if athletes are struggling with the initial stage of fundamental development, why do we hear advice to improve the psychological part of the game? What is it supposed to do for this athlete?

I hope you will find what you are looking for, professional advice and the desire to overcome the initial stage of performance, 565-570. Back in my days (1980s) , this level was reached by the majority of motivated, healthy, young individuals in the age between 15 and 18 years old during one year and we did not have such advanced pistols as we do today. Our tool was FWB 65. Good luck.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

markwarren wrote:John - Do you have any contact details for Tom - if you do ,could you PM them please? I have searched on-line but can't find any!
PM sent
yana

Post by yana »

I understand, but there are several coaches on the bbs, and maybe there's 1 near you, or they know 1 near you. Just ask. The BASC, or any uk shooting association, should have a list of all coaches so you can pick 1 nearby.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

yana wrote:The BASC, or any uk shooting association, should have a list of all coaches so you can pick 1 nearby.
I'm afraid that you don't really understand the structure of our many UK shooting organisations. As far as ISSF style pistol coaching is concerned the BASC is a total irrelevance.

If you want to go via one of the national associations then contact Dave Froggett via the NSRA web site
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

ISSF Pistol disciplines in the UK are governed by the NSRA including the coach programme for those disciplines, so as David says - you need to contact the NSRA and they will be able to provide a list of coaches in your area.

BASC look after the interests of hunters and they have a hand in some of the field-sport type target disciplines - some sporting clay shooting, field target air gun, etc. Nothing related to ISSF at all.

Although there's a couple of target types on AirgunBBS, again, it's mostly people who's interests would fall into BASC's remit.

http://forum.stirton.com would be more appropriate for ISSF stuff.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I note two things you may wish to rethink.

NPA: I was told (and believe) by Olympian Don Nygord that there is no such thing. US National Champion Brian Zins says the same thing.

Gun in line with arm: Then you would have to have your eye in line with your arm...rather stressful. Also dismissed by Zins.
Russ

Why I respect beliefs that are not mine

Post by Russ »

Why do I respect beliefs that are not mine ?

I did not invent NPA; I do not believe in it. I just practice with it and I know it is unwise to ignore it. So far, it works for me and for many others. ;)

You can believe in whatever you like if your score goes up. But if it does not, you can change you believes as many times as you like until you will prove and support your theory with a solid score performance.
Attachments
flat.jpg
flat.jpg (4.65 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
Rover

Re: Why I respect beliefs that are not mine

Post by Rover »

"you can change you believes as many times as you like until you will prove and support your theory with a solid score performance"

You mean like the two guys I quoted above?
Russ

The meaning of my message is

Post by Russ »

The meaning of my message is: if YOU can personally use a NEW and “Know How” theory to deliver better performance than average (570AP), it will worth to share this info. Otherwise, old methods of fundamentals have worked fine for the last 30-40 years.

If you need some reference group or names: go to the bible of Olympic style target shooting and read books. A.A. Yur'yev (Author), Gary L Anderson (Translator)
"Competitive Shooting: Techniques and Training for Rifle, Pistol, and Running Game Target Shooting"

I personally learned from Gary L Anderson the way how to practice ;)

You can not impress me with the names you know. We accept score records. Here are some of mine reported to the USAS and scored at the official USAS PTO’s:
http://midwestacademyconsulting.wordpre ... ification/

Keep us updated with your progress and new theory; I will stick with mine for a while. ;)
Please do not be shy.
Last edited by Russ on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

I lernd about NPA from Afanasijs Kuzmins

Post by Russ »

I lernd about NPA from Afanasijs Kuzmins, this is my reference...
I'm willing to discuss more about this subject in February, 2012 during my seminar, at Toronto, Canada.

"Afanasijs Kuzmins (born March 22, 1947 in Daugavpils District) is a Latvian shooter who won two Olympic medals in the 25 m Rapid Fire Pistol event; gold at the 1988 for the USSR and silver at the 1992 Summer Olympics for Latvia. He also won the 1986 World Championship in 25 m Standard Pistol. Kuzmins trained at the Armed Forces sports society in Riga.

He competed at the 2004 Summer Olympics and, by receiving wild card, competed also in the 2008 Summer Olympics. At age 61 Kuzmins finished 13th overall in his eighth Olympic appearance.[1] No other shooter has appeared at eight Olympics; four have appeared at seven Olympics."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afanasy_Kuzmin