School me: CO2 vs. compressed air

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
orion_134

School me: CO2 vs. compressed air

Post by orion_134 »

I am looking to getting back into shooting AP and was solely interested in compressed air guns. After a little searching I find that CO2 is a little more readily available. Is there a reason for this? Mind you, I was only in the 550-560's when I was shooting, so I was no accuracy ninja by any means. I just find it easier to deal with scuba tanks than CO2.
Thanks in advance,
Jesse
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I don't think that any of the top class manufacturers are making CO2 pistols any more (but could be wrong).

If you find it easier to obtain CO2 and can find a good used gun that suits you then all of the top level CO2 guns should be more than capable of shooting well into the 560s.
orion_134

Post by orion_134 »

Ok good, that just means that my Google is weak. I'll keep hunting for a compressed air gun.
slofyr

Re: School me: CO2 vs. compressed air

Post by slofyr »

orion_134 wrote:...I just find it easier to deal with scuba tanks than CO2....
How about dealing with neither?

http://tinyurl.com/3dfjlo7

Rover

Post by Rover »

This is a topic that has been beaten to death here.

My take on it is that you can find a used top of the line CO2 AP for a lot less money than CA. Performance will be equal and CO2 is very easy to obtain (and cheap).

viewtopic.php?t=27938&start=0
orion_134

Post by orion_134 »

slofyr wrote:
orion_134 wrote:...I just find it easier to deal with scuba tanks than CO2....
How about dealing with neither?

http://tinyurl.com/3dfjlo7

Out of the question with me. I don't want the cocking of the pistol in my shot process.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

orion_134 wrote:Out of the question with me. I don't want the cocking of the pistol in my shot process.
I don't blame you.

The less effort needed on the firing line to prepare the gun for a shot, the better.
orion_134

Post by orion_134 »

Although it was an old pistol, my only experience is with (I think) a FWB 65 and it will wear you out. I then moved on to (I think) was a FWB 2 but I was using CA and from what I can tell the 2 uses CO2. I can't find which FWB looks like the 2 but uses CA. Ah well, no matter.
zoned

Post by zoned »

> ...my only experience is with (I think) a FWB 65 and it will wear you out.

> ...The less effort needed on the firing line to prepare the gun for a shot, the better

It's human nature to seek the easy path, but this is getting silly. Feinwerkbau sold 145,000 of the 65's to shooters over a period of 33 years. The pistol scored highly and won matches. I owned a couple back then and the cocking effort was not a problem, but spring pistols in general were a heavy handful.

The FAS 604 is about as strenuous to operate as popping the top on a beer. Even now as an older shooter in average physical condition, charging the FAS 604 is a non-issue. I just don't see where the fear of effort comes from. The 604 is a gem. For the moderate investment you get excellent build quality, consistency, and accuracy. Ergonomically, it holds and balances beautifully. The design is simply brilliant, and it will put a pellet downrange into the 10-ring without all the support paraphernalia that is required by the gas pistols just to make them functional. K.I.S.S.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don't you KNOW? If you read it on the internet it must be true.

I can't believe that crap is still floating around. I've owned several 65s, a couple of K58s, and a FWB 100. None were the least bit tiring and the scores I shot were at least as good as I can crank out of my gas guns.

Pack o' weenies!
orion_134

Post by orion_134 »

OK, maybe I should have added my disclaimer before people took offense to it: the 65 I was using was tossed into a drawer in the armory for over 20 years by the time I picked it up. The gun book proved no one has touched it since then. That may have been why it was a little "stiffer" than others. Like I said, it's my only experience.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just having a little fun with you.

Seriously, if you can find a K58 you'll find it easy to operate, light, ergonomic, accurate, and with a great trigger. It would also be MUCH cheaper than a decent CA + accessories.

I DO find the FWB 65 a bit clunky. I'm sure the FAS would work well, too, but it's a bit underpowered for my taste.
zoned

Post by zoned »

Rover wrote:... but it's a bit underpowered for my taste.
I hear that occasionally from wankers who are still learning how to shoot.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Wanking strengthens the grip, as you well know!
C. Perkins

Rover, you crack me up LOL

Post by C. Perkins »

On the serious side...

I shoot an IZH46m (Izzy).
Good pistol, accurate as heck if you are on, cocking it is effertless.
My only gripe is using my big mitts picking up those tiny pellets and inserting it into the chamber.(kind of like a monkey and a football...)

Nothing wrong with an accurate SSP for a learning air pistol.

Clarence