What's The Level On Levels?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ON_THE_EDGE

What's The Level On Levels?

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

I'm a newbie to 10 meter air rifles. Recently I aquired a real nice FWB 601. Now that my wallet has recovered some, I am ready to start accessorizing it and am considering a front sight level.

I can see where one could help me develop my stance and such, but since I am shooting at one fixed range, does it really benifit me that much or does it end up becoming an added distraction?

What are the true pros and cons of using one?
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

The level is not a legal accessory for 10m Air Rifle.

The sights sit a distance above the barrel; the larger the distance (higher sights) the greater the effect on the shot if the rifle is Canted. The level would allow for a repeatable and viewable cant.

Some sights have adjustable Cant Indicators, which are fixed and legal where a Spirit Level is not legal. Even if the rifle has non-adjustable Cant Indicator, you just have to "remember" how much of an angle your sight's cross wire are canted while zeroing and shooting.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

As sbrmike says
The level is not a legal accessory for 10m Air Rifle
ISSF Rules:
7.4.2.2 A thumb hole, thumb rest, palm rest, heel rest and spirit level are prohibited.
However there's nothing to stop you using one in training if you find it helpful. It might be a quick and effective way of evaluating a change. Alternatively, the RIKA electronic trainer does provide a read out of cant.

Rutty
sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

sbrmike wrote: The sights sit a distance above the barrel; the larger the distance (higher sights) the greater the effect on the shot if the rifle is Canted.
NO! Not this old chestnut again. We've been through this before here or on the old Ray's site. For single distance shooting the height of the line of sight does not increase the adverse effect of cant.