2 quick questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

2 quick questions

Post by toddinjax »

1) To reaease a shot within 6 to 8 seconds... exactly when does the coundown begin...from the moment your exhalation ends, or six seconds from when you settle into your area of aim?

2) Exactly when do you "pick up" the front sight as your point of focus? I look down to the target and lift the pisol through the bull (kind of confirming my NPA/stance), and THEN grab the sight with my eye as I lower down into my aim.

Any comments/suggestion appreciated. todd.
ISSFFP

Post by ISSFFP »

it all depends for each individual, try to read this.\\

http://www.shootingwiki.org/index.php?t ... e_-_Pistol
RobStubbs

Re: 2 quick questions

Post by RobStubbs »

toddinjax wrote:1) To reaease a shot within 6 to 8 seconds... exactly when does the coundown begin...from the moment your exhalation ends, or six seconds from when you settle into your area of aim?
The time is meant to reflect the amount of time you are in aim, which should equally coincide pretty much with the end of your exhale. I would suggest optimum is between 4-8 seconds or even 3-6. The trick is to pick the first period of stability and not wait, and wait for it to improve. If you want to measure it you really need someone to observe and time you, it's very hard to do for yourself and shoot properly.

2) Exactly when do you "pick up" the front sight as your point of focus? I look down to the target and lift the pisol through the bull (kind of confirming my NPA/stance), and THEN grab the sight with my eye as I lower down into my aim.
Any comments/suggestion appreciated. todd
That is a bit more difficult and a personal preference thing. You don't want to focus on the target but equally you don't want to start looking at the sights too soon. I tend to look at the sights on the initial raise but then avert my eyes slightly. I properly look at the sights as I lower down the target and then concentrate fully on them as I drop through the black.

Rob.
[/quote]
lastman

Post by lastman »

Interesting questions.

Firstly I'd say to make sure that you're not counting the 6-8 seconds in your head when aiming. This will create a panic in your mind as you get to 6 or 7 and you may force the press giving you poor results.

That being said it takes me about 8 seconds to release a good shot. I start pressing as I'm lowering my arm into the aiming area and don't stop until it's gone.

As for picking up the sights, when I raise the pistol I am aware of the sights in my peripheral vision. As I lower the pistol into my aiming area I gradually increase my focus on the sights until I am in the aiming area and I have full focus on them until after the shot breaks.

You don't want to be focused on the sights for too long in any 1 shot for 2 reasons.

1. Your brain gets bored and will actually trick you by essentially playing a replay making you think you're watching and aligning the sights when you're focus is not actually on them.

2. Over the course of the match you get pretty tired, especially if you're fully focused on the sights for a long period of time. Keeping that intense focus restricted only to when you're actually aiming will help prevent you from becoming too tired.

Good luck