Pistol shooting shoes...do they work?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tufty

Pistol shooting shoes...do they work?

Post by tufty »

Interested to hear what people think,never tried any but have always wondered if they would help,normally shoot in trainer type shoes
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Some believe in them, some don't. I feel it helps to wear the same shoes for shooting all the time, and if you're carrying a bag around anyway... You probably won't shoot 10 points more by wearing them, but they definitely give a subconscious feedback about how "good" you're standing, so you don't have to think about it and can concentrate on other aspects of your technique. Several shooters in my club have them (the Corami shoes) and absolutely swear by them. I'm using indoor training shoes, which have a flat sole and a tight cap around the back, and that pretty much achieves the same.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I agree with Tycho, they basically provide a constant for your feet, I doubt you get anymore points out of them. I wouldn't say they are necessary I definitely would put them under optional accessories or luxury.

That said I like my Corami's, great shoes fit great and are comfortable and stable. So if you have shoes you find comfortable and stable then use them if you like. I've watched Neustrev in practice at a WC walk in in ordinary dress shoes and shoot 99's (maybe even 100), so I tend to think "It's not in the shoes".
topclass52

pistol shoes

Post by topclass52 »

another less elegant alternative is skateboard shoes -- nice flat rubber soles with a padded ankle wraparound. Check out Osiris...
topclass52

pistol shoes

Post by topclass52 »

another less elegant alternative is skateboard shoes -- nice flat rubber soles with a padded ankle wraparound. Check out Osiris...
renzo

Re: pistol shoes

Post by renzo »

topclass52 wrote:another less elegant alternative is skateboard shoes -- nice flat rubber soles with a padded ankle wraparound. Check out Osiris...
Beware!!

If they have "ankle wraparounds" they should be illegal per rule 8.4.5.2, at least for pistol shooting.
william

Post by william »

If they have "ankle wraparounds" they should be illegal per rule 8.4.5.2, at least for pistol shooting.
Skateboard shoes are low enough to clear the ankle bones with room to spare. The "wraparound" is around the opening you stick your foot through.
renzo

Post by renzo »

I'd hate to have an argument with a range official concerning the interpretation of the rule, which states "no support of the ankle bone".

I'd go with a shooting shoe of a known brand which has already been seen and approved in official matches.

Some years ago, one of my team mates had a situation like this at the Nationals in my home country, and although he could finally shoot his mind state went through the drains...............
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

renzo wrote:I'd hate to have an argument with a range official concerning the interpretation of the rule, which states "no support of the ankle bone"...
not quite
8.4.5.2 Only low-sided shoes which do not cover the ankle bone are permitted.
renzo wrote:I'd go with a shooting shoe of a known brand which has already been seen and approved in official matches.

some of the 'known brand' pistol shoes can run into trouble with the flex testing.
luftskytter

Shoes

Post by luftskytter »

But the question was: do they work?

IMHO, yes, and so do other shoes with flat soles.
I've tried shooting in MBTs ("rocking shoes").
Lost an estimated 5-10 points on a 30 shot round.

I believe soles should be flat enough to give good support under heels and toes, and not be soft. You need good balance.

Some arch support may be an advantage if your feet need this when standing for a long time. I used to do that in my everyday work, and flat soles without support (e.g. "Docksides") made my feet hurt after a full day.

Shooting in MBTs etc. could be good balance training though :-)
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

some of the 'known brand' pistol shoes can run into trouble with the flex testing
At least for the Coramis, that problem has been solved. Besides, the ISSF measuring equipment is a total joke, but what else could have been expected from that organisation.

I agree on the skateboard shoes, have seen some good examples of those, my dad used to use them for some years - now that looked funny :-D
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

Hmm, I think I have a pair of ol' pinkish-purple skateboard shoes in a cupboard somewhere. They're legal and will work just fine. Finally get to use them again. My shooting buddies won't know what they are.
And if I don't tell them.......

I bought a pair for my old father too: he and my little son looked real cool with identical shoes in the eighties. Those were the days......
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Tycho wrote:...Besides, the ISSF measuring equipment is a total joke, but what else could have been expected from that organisation...
an interesting opinion
david alaways

shoes

Post by david alaways »

Zurek gave me a pair a couple months ago, My first scores improved,but i was coming off almost a year without shooting. This week i forgot to put them on and shot in my socks again. First target 100 second 99, Hey back to the socks for me. They did a study at the OTC and found most people shot better in shooting shoes, But in the study I shot better (my hold was better.The study was actually Hold better not shot better.the two r sort of the same , unless your trigger pull sucks) I shoot better in my socks, and my feet feel better. Being a runner I wear $150 running shoes my and my feet r spoiled. I put my best inserts into Zureks shoes , it helped but still after an hour I could feel my feet and during a match that is the last thing I want to think about.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Spencer wrote:
Tycho wrote:...Besides, the ISSF measuring equipment is a total joke, but what else could have been expected from that organisation...
an interesting opinion
Interesting and common.

Just make sure your shoes aren't camo... and they match your sporty tracksuit that you should be shooting in!
TB

Post by TB »

Tycho wrote:At least for the Coramis, that problem has been solved.
How did they solve the problem?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

They cut 4 grooves across the sole. If you turn up at equipment control with those grooves, they won't even measure the shoes anymore, just put the sticker on. No problem to do it "aftermarket", and at some of the world cups, the inventor/designer of Corami is actually there for the service. But even the original Coramis would come through the flexibility check if it's done right - the change was mainly done so ISSF could demonstrate that they are achieving something.
lastman

Re: pistol shoes

Post by lastman »

topclass52 wrote:another less elegant alternative is skateboard shoes -- nice flat rubber soles with a padded ankle wraparound. Check out Osiris...
Skate shoes aren't really a much better alternative.

One of the main benefits of proper shooting shoes is the rigidity of the sole.

Any skate shoe that's been worn more than a couple of times will lose that rigidity, making them pretty much the same as any other shoe you may wear.

I have a pair of Sauer shoes that pass the rigidity tests and are great to shoot in.

My thoughts are that the main benefit they provide is consistency, as a few people have previously mentioned.

Also after wearing them for a little while my swaying has almost completely stopped.

I do think there is a benefit to wearing them, but most of that is in your head.

Good luck
RN Hawkins

Pistol Shooting Shoes

Post by RN Hawkins »

Pistol shoes are better than athletic shoes in regards to postural stability. However, most Americans buy pistol shoes too small. They should be about one size larger than their normal street shoes. They should also not be tightly laced. Lacing tightly, inhibits the sensors in the foot to sense change in body sway. Being loose will allow the sensors to make corrections more quickly. Also very good is shooting barefoot. But good luck in the winter.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

And with hot brass.