32 caliber ammunition 25 and 50 yards

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rstriano

32 caliber ammunition 25 and 50 yards

Post by rstriano »

Anyone help me? If i am not currently reloading, what is the best ammunition? I shoot with a 32 Caliber Walther GSP.

I use Fiocci for practice and wondered about the qualities of the Lapua ammunition and whether 83 or 98 grain is better at 50 yards.
Isabel1130

Re: 32 caliber ammunition 25 and 50 yards

Post by Isabel1130 »

rstriano wrote:Anyone help me? If i am not currently reloading, what is the best ammunition? I shoot with a 32 Caliber Walther GSP.

I use Fiocci for practice and wondered about the qualities of the Lapua ammunition and whether 83 or 98 grain is better at 50 yards.

not to put too much of a damper on your enthusiasm for shooting a 32 at 50 yards, but if your gun came with the stock barrel from Europe, you may not get good results with ANY ammo. There is at least one lengthy thread on this board that deals with reloading, and or best ammo for 32's. Bench your gun and see if the rounds are at least going in straight, or if they are keyholing. if they are keyholing, talk to Dave Wilson, about both a new barrel and then what ammo to use. He posts here, and may read this.
fc60

Ammo For 32 GSP-C

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

The best results I have had at 50 yards with the factory Walther barrel are the following...

H&N 0.314" HBWC
Lapua brass
1.40 grains of VihtaVouri N310 (three-ten) or 1.70 grains of Bullseye
Use an expander plug of 0.315"
Taper crimp to 0.325" as measured at the mouth of the case.

Cheers,

Dave
Trooperjake

32 wad

Post by Trooperjake »

I tried Daves load in my walther gsp and it was great, 2.75 inches at 50 yards.
My problem is the h&n bullet is so waxy, it clogs up my dillon seating die very fast.

Any cure for this.........
fc60

Waxy Bullets

Post by fc60 »

Greetings Jake,

What size is the expander on your machine?

I use a Star with an expander 0.001" larger than the bullet size and they load with little mess.

Cheers,

Dave
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

The problem is lube in the die.
FredB

hijack

Post by FredB »

The OP specifically said he did not reload, so shouldn't responders try to answer his question about what's the best ammo he can obtain without reloading?

Here are some thoughts, FWIW, based on my experience. It is possible that nothing commercially available will be great at 50 yds, but I'd suggest Lapua is the best bet to try. I'm pretty sure that Fiocchi will not work at all at 50, and please don't even try Federal (in my GSP it keyholed at 50 feet!). At 25 yds, the choice is much less critical, and Fiocchi may work OK.

Another possibility is contacting Neil at NSK, who makes and sells target quality reloads. Be sure to tell him what gun (barrel) you will be shooting his reloads from, and he may be able to tailor a load to fit. You could even quote him Dave's GSP load given above.

HTH,
FredB
pinbuster

Post by pinbuster »

I shot several matches at 50 yards with the Walther GSP-C and Fiocchi .32 wadcutter ammo. About 2 in 10 shots would "knuckleball" and not be on call whatsoever. Worse case scenario for me was still on the scoring rings as a 5, but it was normal to have a couple of 7s or maybe a 6. They also left a very noticeable paper punch behind, where you could see it was starting to tumble.

With the Dave Wilson barrel, I still haven't gotten my re-loading equipment yet, but it shoots the Fiocchi .32 retail ammo just fine at 50 yards. I haven't sandbagged or ransom rested the combination, but I suspect it is holding the 9 ring based on my experience with it. For now, it will suffice, because it may be another season before I start re-loading.